NPPR + €100 household rate for LLs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will pay the NPPR and Household charge on your rented property. I've gone through the draft bill and it specifically states that it applies to landlords (unless the tenant has a 20 year+ lease). There is no provision to grant an exemption where the NPPR applies.

NPPR Changes in Budget 2012

[broken link removed] December 7, 2011 | Posted by Money Guide
Hidden away in all the changes around Budget 2012 – are a couple of changes to the NPPR – Non Principal Private Residence charge .
The Local Government Charges Act is being amended to bring in the new Household Charge – so while they are doing that the government are taking the opportunity to slip in a couple of changes that affect NPPR.
Firstly they are adding a €10 admin charge for payments made “over the counter”
Secondly – they are removing the exemption for properties leased to a local authority under the rental accommodation scheme, RAS and for those leased to the HSE.
The exemptions will be removed from 2012.
The exemptions will not apply to the Household Charge either .

Yet more hidden changes.............

Yes, landlords will be hit with both the NPPR charge of 200 euro and the 100 euro Household charge on the same property.

Also, those landlords who have properties with RAS were exempt from the NPPR charge up to now. This exemption will now be removed :(

So does this also mean that the tenant has to pay the household tax eh I mean charge? So per rental property the over cost will now be €400!

House owners pay the new household charge.

Nothing to do with tenants.

Every house is owned by somebody, they pay the tax.

Protocol - Sure the owners must pay, and if you mean that tenant is not legally responsible to the authorities then you are correct.

But ,of course, ALL costs in any product or service affect the end-user In this case the end user is the tenant.
I don't know whether or not the landlord can,because of these taxes, immediately apply a surcharge on an agreed rent -which the Irish Property Owners Association - are recommending. But certainly a lanlord would be crazy to ignore the fact that property charges will greatly increase and therefore the landlord MUST increase the rent accordingly.
These taxes have everything to do with the tenant.

The fixed costs of renting have increased.

This may lead to a fall in supply of accomm, as some landlords may feel it's not worthwhile anymore.

Otherwise, subject to mkt forces, LL may try to increase rents, or resist falling rents.

Did the 200 NPPR tax cause rents to rise by 200 pa?

The affect of costs on prices don't work to an exact formula, especially with the demand factor playing a role.

It's not always matter of a sudden new tax being passed on immediately to the end-user. But it is obvious that as costs increase so will prices -or, in this case, rents.

The NPPR charge ain't much per se-200, nor is this new property tax -100. But an increase here and an increase there will certainly mean higher rents.

Will i still have to pay the household charge if the developer is still in place,not in recievership but still maintaining the area. With about 14 unsold houses in the development. The development is still not handed over to the council so they are not providing me with any services so why should i have to pay them for a service i am not getting.

Hi,

Not sure if this topic has already been covered but does anyone know if one has a second home that isnt a rental property (e.g. used for personal use as a city base to facilitate my job in Dublin) then is one liable for the NPPR and the household charge too? I have been paying the NPPR on the city property so far but now very confused about this new charge.

Thanks,
Bovis

You will be caught for the two charges unfortunately.

Owners of residential property will be liable for the charge on each residential property they own as at 1st January 2012.

HOUSEHOLD CHARGE DETAILS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back