Wrong forum not entitled to dole due to lumpsum

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara mc adam

I have recently had my application for unemployment benefit turned down.
I was a bit naive & was actually honest in the interview. To cut along story short they found out I had €40,000
on deposit. Which is our life savings for a house.
I was otherwise entitled to dole having worked 14 years & my husband only earns 26k .
I was made redundant 6 month ago I've just had a baby so i'm not presently looking for work.
Because of the deposit though we're not entitled to a penny. If on the otherhand we had used this deposit to buy
a house. I would actually receive the dole plus extra benefits to help pay my mortgage!
We are struggling to get by on my husbands salary & i know i'm lucky to have savings but isn't it a crazy policy for the government to encourage people to get up to their ears in debt?

We wouldn't do this ..but wouldnt we be better off buying a nice car to drive into the dole office with !
I'm confused as to what to do - I know there's a lot of people worse off who need the dole but i would be enitled to somehting it weren't for this lump sum.
i don't see why i can't receive dole just because i have been prudent & haven't spent all my cash on houses jeeps yachts etc...
I'm not saying i'm going to do this but would i actually receive dole if that lump sum was spent on something else?
Is the policy really so wrong that I could spend that money on a car & then pick up a cheque from the dole office?
It feels wrong to do something like that but would it work?
Its normal people (suckers) like us that pay our taxes that fall into these loop holes cos we don't have time to study all the ins and outs of making a claim unlike all the long-term unemployed who have never paid taxes in their lives!
Any ideas on what I could spend the money on that wouldn't affect my benefit claim and that wouldn't lose its value?
Hope this doesn't seem cheeky i know i'm lucky to have savings but i would have been entitled to dole if i hadn't been so dumb and sleep deprieved (from baby!)
thanks
\t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back