Noor77's personal budgeting thread

Re: students budgets

There's a hostel down off North King Street that does free food for the homeless, winos and junkies if you're really stuck.

re college life.

ah yes, the old cheesy beans thing. And pasta, lots of pasta. I didn't eat pasta for at least 2 years after I finished college, couldn't stand it after eating very little else for a few years! Back to liking it again now though.

On a more serious note, its so much cheaper to cook from scratch then to buy ready meals. If you are cooking for 1, just try and freeze any excess.

I just wish that Lidl/Aldi had been around in my college days, it would have been brilliant!

Re: re college life.

I think we will be living off of bread and ketchup for the next week. Then buy a large bag of pasta for 5 euros in tesco and bag of baby potatoes 99c tesco.

I usually bring in my lunch to work but forgot it today as I was out last night,got up late and all that. Paid €3.35 for a Bap.Thought it was day light robbery. Before I would never have thought about it.Think all this budgeting and paying off my loan last year has lead me to be a being a bit of a scrooge!!!!

By the way, is this the longest post that was on AAB??

No it's not the longest post. It's the second longest. You have a lot more chatting to do.

Marion :hat

Well then, we'd better get working :b

Here's a good question for you all..........

What's the single largest non-essential purchase you've made, how much did it cost, and have you regretted the splurge?

When I say non- essential, I mean it can't be a house/apartment or a car!

Mine would be my computer, but it could be debatable as to whether it's essential or not. It cost me €1800, and I haven't regretted it one bit.

What's the single largest non-essential purchase you've made, how much did it cost, and have you regretted the splurge?

Eur 2K holiday last year. .

Eur 2K worth of jewellery for herself and Eur 800 worth of computer gear for me in the US, both a few weeks ago. No.

Neither were funded by credit so from that point of view there were certainly no regrets.

:)

largest payment

I think they single largest payment i made was for 300 euros on a DVD/CD Burner, i regret paying because its himself that uses it all the time as i have no need for it.

We have the computer free because of his disability, but i guess i use that more for things like paint shop pro groups/tutorials and just collecting postcards etc.

Only single largest payment im making this week is 300 euros which is paying off some of my parents trip to Rome for there Silver Wedding Anniversary. My other sister is paying 300 also and my younger sister who doesnt work was able to pay 200, there trip cost 2500 for 1 week and we paid 800. Also we have made a silver plate engraved with our signatures also which cost 150. But definetely dont regret this, my parents are my best best friends.

Stealing from the mouths of the homeless

Clubman- cant say that I was ever THAT desperate, however I do recall a group of us all attending a meeting of the Hari Krishnas as we were told there would be free food. We only had to sit through what seemed like hours of meditation/prayer first.

As for the biggest splurge, that would be my honeymoon a few years back-we hired a convertible and drove around California, and no, I certainly dont regret it.

p.s. so Marion, what was the longest thread?

Re: Money

Largest amount of money I have ever spent on something was €1,000 on a holiday, which I don't regret at all. I'm not really a splurger though.

Melybaby - Living off porridge would be better for you than bread and tomato ketchup. Then buy a huge bag of spinach in tesco and mix spinach with noodles or pasta for dinner, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a few cheese shavings and some black pepper on top. At least you would be getting some nutrients from the spinach!

thanks Noor,

Will try that it sounds so nice.

now i know how you feel about things that keep popping up

ie my make-up is finished and it costs 30euros for it that i havent budgeted for.
Also does anyone find that condoms are now extremely expensive to buy. Almost 16 euros for a pack of 10.

And the government are so concerned about unprotected sex...they should be, these people will not have the money to go out and buy something they cant afford. Itd ridiculous.

Also does anyone find that condoms are now extremely expensive to buy.

Lidl even sell these cheaper than other outlets. They'd be cheaper again everywhere if they were not treated as a luxury item and subject to 21% VAT assuming retailers didn't simply claw this back as increased margin.

I'm sure you can buy them cheaper on-line....I think one of my friends did before. They are way cheaper elsewhere in Europe so you could always stock up on holidays :)

Re: Don't eat bread and ketchup

Have thought of some more cheap yet healthy stuff for you Melybaby:

Buy a few carrots, chop them into batons and stir fry them in a mixture of olive oil and soy sauce with one or two cloves of garlic (crushed). Eat with noodles

If you are going to really have a cheap week: get some nettle tea as it's jam-packed with vitamins. Drink with a spoon of honey to make it more palatable

Slice mushrooms and leeks, stir fry with olive oil and then pour in a small tub of creme fraiche. Eat with pasta sprinkled with some black pepper and cheese

Buy a few carrots, chop them into batons and stir fry them in a mixture of olive oil and soy sauce with one or two cloves of garlic (crushed). Eat with noodles

Yeah - I often lash together a basic stir fry with whatever veg remains and either packaged or instant noodles - more out of convenience/laziness than as a cost saving measure though.

Yeah, noodles are great - the original fast food! I don't like any of the flavoured ones you can buy or those pot noodle things though as they are full of additives. Amoy Straight to Wok Udon noodles are lovely :)

I don't like any of the flavoured ones you can buy or those pot noodle things though as they are full of additives

I bought some ordinary ones and there are more additives in the noodles than in the ones in the instant packets! Obviously the flavour sachet in with the latter is full of crap though.

mmmmm sounds delicious.

Have nothing in the cupboards or fridge
So what can i buy out of 21 euros. I shop in Tesco's.

Pasta
Noodles or Rice
Carrots
value pack Mushrooms
Spinach
Leeks
value pack Onions
Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
Some kind of oil (you probably won't have enough for Olive)
Soy Sauce
Milk
value pack cheese
Eggs (so you can do omelettes and scrambled eggs etc...)
Porridge Oats
Yellow or red pepper for adding to stir frys
value pack apples
value pack chocalte mousse 6 pack (you need chocolate!)
value pack brown sliced pan

Back