Non payment of PAYE + PRSI

I just rang the Revenue again, and she said there's been no returns made by my employer for me yet, and that it will take months before they get that information! If this is true, then this must mean that there will be no PRSI contributions paid for me until then either, as the info has to go through the Revenue first! This is a complete joke!!

How can employers not register an emloyee, not pay tax or PRSI, and the Revenue won't do anything about it! What do I have to do to explain to them that my employer is"BREAKING THE LAW" and seems to be able to do whatever they like! I am so angry!

Ham Slicer said:
First of all the P30 details are irrelavant as it does not break down contributions per employee.

Swatch, how long have you been working for your employer?

I've been with them over 2 and a half years.

First of all the P30 details are irrelavant as it does not break down contributions per employee.

I mentioned the P30 as this could give an indication as to whether the employer was making returns to revenue. If they were then hopefully you are included but if no returns are being made then you know for definate that no PRSI ot PAYE has been paid on your behalf.
Sorry if I did not make this clear

asdfg said:
If they were then hopefully you are included but if no returns are being made then you know for definate that no PRSI ot PAYE has been paid on your behalf.

Well the thing is, is that I do know for definite that no PAYE/PRSI was paid on my behalf since I've been here. I found this out by contacting the Revenue and Social Welfare. My employer said they've included me in the returns they sent in a few weeks ago.
But my problem is, is that I've no way of checking to make sure they backdated everything.
I don't understand how if the Revenue were made aware of the fact that an employer didn't pay PAYE/PRSI on an employees behalf, why they haven't requested them to do so!

Swatch

I understand your frustration.

As stated in earlier posts contact/email all you local TD's as well as Brian Cowen, Seamus Brennan, Bertie Ahern. They make the laws. Ask them to investigate the matter. If you don't hear from them within a few weeks sent a reminder and send a reminder at least every fortnight.
Don't give up. You are fighting for your future here Pension, Disability etc plus many many more See here

:confused: I still don't understand how an employer can decide to do whatever they want despite the law!
ie. NOT register an employee, NOT pay PAYE/PRSI on their behalf, NOT make returns by February 15th, NOT give P60's at the end of the year -
and when all this information is given to the Revenue, they don't do anything about it either! What exactly to they have to do before the Revenue does do something, or is it because there isn't millions of euros involved? I mean if I were to be caught driving without motor tax, what would happen, "oh that's grand, pay it whenever you get a chance".....I don't think so.
Is there a complaint board/ombudsman of some sort for the Revenue?

Anything [broken link removed] for revenue and here for welfare

You can always appeal directly to the ombudsmans office. See his [broken link removed] of 2004 for the type of complaints dealt with

Swatch said:
I still don't understand how an employer can decide to do whatever they want despite the law!
ie. NOT register an employee, NOT pay PAYE/PRSI on their behalf, NOT make returns by February 15th, NOT give P60's at the end of the year -
and when all this information is given to the Revenue, they don't do anything about it either! What exactly to they have to do before the Revenue does do something, or is it because there isn't millions of euros involved?

I think you're confusing the Revenue's inability to give you concrete information on your employer's tax affairs (on the basis of confidentiality) with your perception that they are not interested in following him for payment of the tax amounts involved and filing of the required employer returns.

Contrary to what you fear, the Revenue (and Welfare) do take cases of this nature extremely seriously and have swingeing powers at their disposal to enforce interest, penalties etc on top of the original tax amounts owed, and in cases of deliberate evasion they are not afraid to initiate prosecution proceedings against the offenders.

The point is that if the Revenue were to divulge confidential information about your employer, to yourself and third parties, this would be likely to damage their prospects of getting a successful prosecution against your employer. It might also cast a serious doubt over their ability to enforce collection of the monies owed (eg by obtaining a court judgement against your employer) were your employer to challenge them in court on the basis of unfair procedures etc.

Ok, I get what you're saying about confidentiality - it's just that when I can't get a straight answer from anybody, it's just very frustrating! Can you understand the situation I'm in though, that my "reliable" employer broke the law and there's no one telling me - "it's ok it will be sorted out".

I've rang the Revenue on different occasions and have gotten various different explanations about my situation which doesn't help either, and doesn't exactly do anything for my faith in them. For example, yesterday I was told maybe I just don't have to pay tax, that I was exempt! Which I know for a fact that's not true!
If someone was able to say to me that your situation is being/will be dealt with, that would be fine, but I'm not being told anything, that's the problem, I just have to wait. That's why it's so frustrating.

hi,
My employer was paying me 8e/h. Now the buissnes isnt so good so he want cut one hour per day. finaly it would be 7h per day. i didnt agree so i sad i want qiut. And now i find out that he didnt pay any of my taxes.
I was working for him since 08/2008 but his first company its closed now since 2008 dec. Im working now for him in his new company. but they reg it in january 2009, thay got to paye system in apirl. he told me he can pay back this 3 months. Should i agree?? or go somewhere with it? i dont have any payslips, p45 even work agreement. I didnt care much. can some one tell me what do do? I know that they hire somebody esle and paying all taxes, only i was to stupid to dont look into that matter. does anyone know what shoul i do?
tatiana

Phone up or walk into your local tax office and ask for a balancing statement for each tax period that you were employed for with your employer and the revenue will sent them out to you and then you can find out from that if you were on the books or not and if so then all happy and if not then phone up the revenue
Dublin Special Compliance District

Contact details for the Dublin Special Compliance DistrictAddressTelephonee-mail85/93, Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2.01 6474000[email protected]

Back