No Wooden Floors on contract with Mgt co. ?

D

Daniel

Hi,

I am currently concluding the purchase of a 2nd hand apt. and was reading through the contact with the management company and it says on the conditions that you are not allowed to "lay wooden floors" .

I was hoping to get laminate flooring put in but am not to sure now what to do. Do people ignore this or is it in every apt block policy ?

Would appreciate any info or past experience.

Daniel you could look at the Lymewood Mews thread in Location, Location, Location - there were a lot of posts about putting down wooden flooring in the apartments as it stated in the contract that they were not allowed but loads of people went ahead and put them down anyway... I think it would depend on the success of the soundproofing under the floor...

Also think this is a common issue with apartments nowadays so I'm sure lots of people will have come across it.

Ignore the instruction not to lay wooden floors at your peril! If a noise nuisance is created as a result you will be compelled to remove any offending floor finish.

They had a similar instruction in my agreement - I think most places do - however my developers had put a cork based substance on the floors to soundproof - so there was no problem - imagine this is normally the case.

Same as that on the cork based underlay in my apt! I couldn't tell you if there was a clause in our management company house rules! however, the flooring is concrete, and even though I am on 2nd floor so this shouldn't be an issue for you if buying a purpose built new apt. Asked foreman at the time and he said concrete was a soundproofer in itself and wouldn't be a noise issue with wooden flooring. at the end of the day, I know you have to take everyone else into consideration but you are a potential member of the board down the line, who will be employing the management company, so if you and other residents feel wood flooring is appropriate and wont constitute a nuisance for neighbours below, wouldn't not get them on the management company's say so! Not a particular fan of management companies as you can imagine and of the opinion that they put together a list of generic house rules without reference to individual apartment complexes. I am a prompt payer of the management fee however, can’t abide people who break that particular "rule".

Enjoy your laminate flooring, laid it throughout! The purple fluff issue is still a mystery!! Must clean more often!

Edited to add: of course you could always play a game of semantics and say that you didn't lay wooden floors....you got someone in to do that for you!

Getting out of the big bad world of management companies for four walls with a patch of land underneath soon........

Back