Motor No Claims Bonus - prove 10 plus years

becky

Just renewed my car insurance with a different company and ticked I had 10+ years no claims.

I sent in my NCB cert and they have now asked me to prove I have 10 years or else pay an extra €50. My last NCB said 6 years.

I can't find copies of old NCB's but found the some policy schedules/letters with my NCB on them going back 4 years (of course I can't find the NCB's). Funnily I have 2 schedules from the new insurer and they only stated 5 plus on 2011 and 2010.

I never remember getting a NCB with any more than 6 years.

I can live with €50 but feel I was caught off side as I'm now with them so if I cancel I have to pay the admin charge.

Would be interested if anyone has any experience of this.

Never saw a NCB letter of more than 6 years which I guess is the industry standard, what company are you with..?, I find that very unusual and would challenge them on it when across the industry it is 6 years.
I changed recently and as I change every year to the cheapest option it meant a royal pain to go back on but it had to be done....and you may have to also as you did tick that box !

I changed to its4women (sorry can't remember the underwriters as papers are in work) from axa. As I said I don't mind too much but when I renewed with it4women in 2011 they didn't add the previous year so I think it's a bit sly to expect me to do this now.

It was never an issue for me in 12 years but lesson learnt now. I would have been raging if it was up by €100.

Thanks.

Likewise I've never seen an NCB for more than 5-6 yrs, but I'm out of the business a while. If you can't locate it ask the new insurer to tell you what is the NCB scale. It must be somewhere shown that the NCB scale extends to more than 5/6 yrs to justify the add'l premium. They must also encounter this problem regularly, it all sounds a bit odd.

I've been in the business over 15 years and have never had a request from an insurer looking for more than 6 years. Some good advice from the other posters, I would follow it up with the insurer and query if you got a discount for having 10 years claims free instead of 6.

When receiving a policy quote with no NCB or any other reason for discount, you are quoted 100%. Generally speaking, each years NCB earned discounts this 100% by 10% to a maximum of 6 years/60%, at which time you are paying 40% of the premium. If you look through your policy documents carefully, you can normally find this 100% figure.

Once you have reached 6 years NCB/60% discount (also known as maximum NCB) as mentioned above you no longer earn a further discount and insurance will only decrease if you have a lower risk car, pass an age threshold (25 or 30, for example), move to a lower risk area, have additional car security, change storage location (garaged), don't have points etc.

However, you can of course still remain accident free beyond the 6 years in which case I would imagine that if they are looking for proof of this you will need to provide your NCB for 6 years and evidence of being claim free for four years additional years. So if you started driving in 2002, were claim free 02 to 08 and had no claims from 08 to 12 then your NCB cert should reflect those dates.

Back