NIB 's new Internet Banking service

I was thinking about changing current account from AIB to NIB.

How do people feel about the NIB service now the technology changes have (?) settled down?

Why are there so many account types/very confusing to select the suitable one?

If you can suss out the account number format do the international payments work ok? How much do they cost?

Has their telephone service improved at all? One reason I want to change from AIB is that their service is totally hopeless. The agents can only tell you what you can already see online. You have to wait for ages if you actually go into any AIB branch these days. They used to be good but have deteriorated so much I decided to do something about moving...

Thanks for any info you may have.

I'm with NIB, College Green, Dublin 2.

While their internet banking is OK, their over-the-counter service in College Green is as bad as it has ever been. During the busy 12.30 to 2.30 period, it is hopelessly understaffed.

D.

Hello,

I moved to NIB last July having been with Ulster Bank (and before them AIB).
Reason for the move from AIB to UB was that AIB could not match the rate Ulster Bank offered on my mortgage and showed no interest in keeping me as a customer (had banked with them for almost 20 years - since I was 12). AIB's online banking was very good as far as I remember and I rarely stood in the branch since I could do most of my business online.
Reason for the move from UB to NIB was again due to a better mortgage rate but also because I believed their online-banking to be better. And it is way, way better. Ulster Banks online banking service was very limited - I couldn't pay my AMEX and AIB credit card using their system although I understand they have updated their system lately to allow this. As a result I spent more time in the UB branch that I would have liked!!

I like NIB's online system for the following reasons
  • I can set up my two CCs, ESB, Eircom as payees and pay all my bills online, with the result that I rarely set foot in the branch.
  • I set up a text alert system so that the bank text me every Friday with my current available balance. They also text me when my monthly salary hits my bank account.
  • I can also see my mortgage account online
Overall I'll be staying with NIB because this online service has made managing my money a lot easier. I don't have any affiliation with NIB other than being a satisfied customer.

Have to agree with Laragh

Once I recieved my log in and now the system has bedded down (and staff more familiar) I find it compares to the AIB system which was the best I had used to date.

I too left AIB for UB due to AIB costs (after 10 years with them, I had a CA always with a few k credit, savings account, Credit Card, Mortgage, SSIA + PIP). When they scrapped the no fees for balances over €500 it really put my nose out of joint and have been moving my business away every since - happy in the knowledge that trying to sqeeze yet more out of me ended up costing them lost opp....

Anyway I felt the UB system was terrible in comparison, so moved on from them too. Am now with NIB and PTSB and both on line systems are fine use them with no problems and only visit a branch to get currency or deposit cheques.

In addition to this The NIB sharedealing functionality is a huge advantage - unlike AIB's offering it is at a reasonable price.

Paddy

Back