Newly single parent struggling financially

Can you do babysitting from home as the income is so good and you need to cut up your credit card so you are not tempted, other than that and the spending diary you seem to be doing quite well.

If you are unable to secure a pay rise is there any options to changing jobs with a better income?

Also in relation to bio father have you no information at all that could help you track him down?

I feel for you situation besides struggling financially I am sure the emotions of a break up must be hard too. But don't be too hard on yourself. If Sky is your one luxury then I say hold onto it or failing that would not be cheaper to hire some dvd's when you want something to watch.

Myabe get rid of sky, get in broadband. Plenty of movies to be found online, free.

I would agree with Harriet and Paddy.

The father has a responsibility to his child. He must have relatives, or friends. It is very difficult to disappear entirely. He must be made contribute to his childs upbringing.

Definitely ditch Sky and get in broadband, not only can you get things like Channel4 on demand pretty much every TV show exists online somewhere. I have found I look at very little TV now days I just download the shows I’m interested in watching when it’s convenient. Besides broadband would have great educational possibilities both for your and your daughter. Plus you can get your phone via the internet which would be far cheaper than a regular land line.

Could you get the bio fathers details from the college and then track him down through his family?
Its his responsibility to pay maintenance. I know it may seem a lot of hassle to track him down but it could be worth it.

Hi Ailbhe,

I really feel for you in your situation, I hope your doing ok.

I would keep the sky if i was you, I have ntl digital and it is a luxury but it makes me happy. I cancelled it for a while cos we are saving hard at the moment (well, supposed to be...) but then I got it back after a few months cos it is something I really enjoy, and I don't spend money on cigarettes and rarely drink. I would imagine the sky makes your home life more enjoyable after your recent break up and it is what you are used to, its just not the same watching something on line (imo).

If you are in a position to sell your car then I would do this. I have a 1 litre yaris and it is a great, cheap car to run. Its reliable, 30 euro petrol lasts me a good long while and tax and insurance arent too bad. You could pick up a 99 Yaris for very reasonable and they are surprisingly spacious on the inside. I've had mine nearly 5 years now.

With regards your phone. I don't have a phone line either but I am with meteor and I get free meteor to meteor texts so I mainly text and make a few calls and it costs me usually 20 a month on ready to go. I believe vodafone have a similar offer out at the moment (or at least they did a while ago) which was even more competitive.

You could also look in to babysitting at the weekend. You could offer it in your own home as then you would be at home with your daughter. My friend is a nanny and she said there are a lot of people that work weekends looking for a sitter and the going rate is not bad. Could be something to look into.

Another bit of advice I would offer is when the shops are doing their discount weekends (Dunnes had a 25% off weekend a few weeks ago) then I would go and bulk buy the things that you will always need (toilet roll, washing powder etc) There are good savings to be made.

Best of luck,

Deedee

Have a look at what you are spending on food, It is possible to eat very very cheaply. Look in your library for vegetarian cook books and books aimed at students. Vegtables and beans are much cheaper than meat, if you have any ethnic food shops in your area they are a great source of things like rice, noodle, spices for a fraction of even what you will pay in lidl. Avoid anything packaged, the margin for the supermarket is huge, eat porrige not cereal, does your mother have a recipie for brown soda bread? bake it in bulk at the weekend and freeze. Having spent several years virtually penniless with 2 children i am a real skinflint on food despite now having a good income. Now have 3 children (and husband) never spend more than 100 a week on food, we all take packed lunches and have homecooked meal every night, nobody is starving and all healthy. Set a challenge for yourself and get your child involved so s/he sees it as an adventure and not being deprived of treats.

I would keep the sky if i was you, I have ntl digital and it is a luxury but it makes me happy. I cancelled it for a while cos we are saving hard at the moment (well, supposed to be...) but then I got it back after a few months cos it is something I really enjoy, and I don't spend money on cigarettes and rarely drink. I would imagine the sky makes your home life more enjoyable after your recent break up and it is what you are used to, its just not the same watching something on line (imo).
For a once off payment of €100 or less you can get a DIY install Free To Air satellite setup. Installed it might cost another €100 or less. You will get most of the regular non subscription/pay per view channels (and more) and you can get the Irish terrestrial channels with an external, attic mounted or set top antenna. You won't get Channel 6 this way so that's yet another bonus. :) That's FTA satellite for a once off payment less than a year's subscription to the original poster's cable (?) package.

You'll get CBBC and Cbeebies as well, 2 very good children's channels with no adverts.

Is there a community creche? If there is, you will get substantially cheaper childcare.

When you are moving, you could look to houseshare with another working single parent. I know a few people who have done this and it can work out great.

Yes, FIS recipients are in Band B, so 30-40e for after school care. Having said that community after school care is rare outside the cities, and if private is only option 75 is a good deal.

Agree with:
Weekend childminding - quite a market for this, contact your county childcare committee and do paediatric first aid and QAP course, and get garda vetting.

Downgrade car to 1L, I have always bought and sold my car privately.

Ditch Sky and for your luxuries, get in touch with local beauty college to see when their open weeks are (facial for a fiver).

Bringing your own lunch is a no brainer, particularly since you are making sandwiches for your child in the morning anyway.

I also agree with trying your hardest to track down dad now, leaving maintenance aside, child will start to ask questions around the 7-9 age anyway.

ClubManRe: Newly single parent struggling financially
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee80 http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=716992#post716992

For a once off payment of €100 or less you can get a DIY install Free To Air satellite setup. Installed it might cost another €100 or less. You will get most of the regular non subscription/pay per view channels (and more) and you can get the Irish terrestrial channels with an external, attic mounted or set top antenna. You won't get Channel 6 this way so that's yet another bonus. :) That's FTA satellite for a once off payment less than a year's subscription to the original poster's cable (?) package.

Where would one purchase this Clubman?

Where would one purchase this Clubman?

I bought a Lidl one for around €50, Aldi do them as well from time to time. You can just plug the receiver into the existing cable

Works fine and I have the following channels saved as favourites,

BBC 1
BBC 2
BBC 3
BBC 4
ITV 1 to 4 and the +1's
Channel 4
E4
More 4
Film 4 - Decent enough movies

There is also a couple of other movie channels but they are quite poor.

gosh that seems too good to be true! They're not the ones where you have to keep updating codes are they?

Hi Ailbhe,

You are really feeling it now because there has been an immediate change in your circumstances, its just really harder at the beggining when you first take a long hard look at the finances. Realistically there is very little to trim back on your standing outgoings, other than the mobile, can you change the sim to a pay as you go? possibly not but mine costs only €20 pm now as there are free vodafone-vodafone calls and most of my mobile calls are to that network as it turns out.

Of the €177 you have left over after, you will find that you'll get €50 approx of groceries / toilitries in Aldi / Lidl per week which will do you if you can manage to buy for the week and stay away from other trips for milk / bread etc. It really leaves a pittance but its manageable. Try and look for free outings for you and your little girl during your free time in parks, museums etc. Libraries are great for dvd's, games and of course books! but given you live in a small town I don't know what the local facilities are. You'll find that once you get into the swing of looking after the finances it gets a little easier and maybe you can begin to save the Children's allowance in a PO savings a/c then for holidays and Christmas spending....or even a free to air box lol

Listen, you are young and you have obviously been through a lot already with good grace, believe you can do it and you will.

All the Best,
M

Back