Health Insurance New to health Insurance

Beels85

I'm looking to start paying health insurance. I haven't had any since my mid 20's, I'm currently 31 now. My husband has never had health insurance previously and is now 36. I have no underlying health conditions but my husband has Addison's disease. He will be on medication for life but it currently does not have any impact on his life as the medication is controlling it, he works full time and is relatively fit and healthy.
Has anyone got any recommendations on a health insurance package? We are from the west of Ireland so are mostly only interested in hospitals in Connacht.

Thanks

Hi Beels85,

Welcome to AAM.
First of all, as your husband is over 34 years, taking out health insurance for the first time - there will be an extra loading of 2 x 2% = 4% onto
his annual premium. This has nothing to do with his pre-existing illness, it applies to anyone taking out health insurance for the first time over 34 years of age.
Secondly, he will have to serve a 5 year waiting time, only in respect of his pre-existing illness - Addison's disease, before he can be covered for
hospital treatment. Any other new illness or condition will be covered after the first six months on the new policy.

As you're under 34 years, there is no loading applied to your policy price.

The following plans are worth considering which cover public and private hospitals;
1. Glohealth Kick Off Plus; price 825pa; public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 300 per admission, day case excess 75 per visit.

2. Irish Life health Select More; price 950pa; public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 150 per admission, day case 75 per visit.

3. VHI PMI 40 15 Plan; price 1009pa; public, private and some hi-tech hospital cover included, private excess 75 per admission or day case.

The following plans with Laya Healthcare include cover for all public, private and the 3 hi-tech hospitals( which are based in Dublin but maybe
relevant in terms of expertise in relation to your husbands condition in the long term).

1. Laya Flex 500 Explore; price 721pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 500 per admission, day case excess 150
per visit.
2. Laya Flex 375 Explore; price 822pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 375 per admission, day case excess 125 per visit.
3. Laya Control 300 Create; price 972pa from 1 Dec 2016; public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 300 per admission,
day case 125 per visit. Good day to day cover included on this plan, refund 30 per gp visit, 80 per consultant visit, etc. Day to day cover is
allowable from day 1, no waiting applies with Laya even with a pre-existing illness.
There is also cover for a private room in a private hospital included on this plan.

[broken link removed]

You can choose different plans with different providers if it suits your individual needs etc.
Hope this helps with your decision making.

Regards, Snowyb

Back