New Partnership - where to start with tax filing?

S

siobhan

Hello all, clueless questions to follow. After being made redundant earlier this year, I decided to set up a partnership with a friend in a similar situation. We set up in July and now have the difficult task of sorting out our taxes.

Basically we have a total income of €300+vat for this year, and our expenditure on office equipment, PI insurance etc was around €5000, so we obviously are at a loss so far! We would prefer not to employ an accountant this year as funds are so tight and income was minimal.

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string question', but I would really appreciate any tips on where to start - be they websites, books etc.

The guy I spoke to in Revenue advised that although I came under the PAYE system until March of this year, that I can't apply for medical expenses or rent allowance under the PAYE system this year and need to put this information in with my tax returns. Is this the case? Seems a little odd.
My husband and I are also jointly assessed, but he's PAYE. How does that work?

I'm also ridiculously confused because the only forms I can find relate to 2010 income. If it's a new business, do I even need to put anything in this year?

Back