New job, not sure of tax requirements

el-jimbo

I was recently hired by a web based company. Basically I will only have work when they sell my product, which could be a few times a week, or only one or two a month. I will be charging them per item as each one will be unique and cost will depend on a few factors.
At the moment we are only working on a handshake agreement so some points have to be worked out but I'm under the impression that I won't be working as an employee for this company but rather as an independent contractor.
This will be my first time working under these conditions so I have no idea what way to do this. Should I register as self-employed?
Its a big step for me as I'm a college graduate who has been on the dole for the last 8 months, so I want to do this right and as cost effective as possible.
I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

It sounds like you will be self-employed. They will pay you for items that you provide.

In this case you will need to prepare accounts to show your income and outgoings, and will be taxable on the profits. You will need to register as self-employed with the Revenue.

However, you should really take advice to see the best way to go forward, and in particular to keep good records.

Back