New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

taytoman

Hi
Just wonder if anyone has a view on the two separate housing developments at Diswellstown castleknock? They are beside st Patrick's school. One opens out onto the road beside the school and about 10 houses are nearly constructed. The other development has just started and opens out near the castleknock hotel. I am interested in the 4_bed semis in both developments. Anyone got ideas about what they might cost? I am not sure whether to go and buy a 4 bed semi in the bracken park development nearby where the4 bed semi houses are 595k to 620k or sit in the fence for these. Thanks in advance for any help as this is a big dilema for me.

Hi
Can't help you with cost, but have heard that one of the conditions in the planning permission was that these houses are NOT in the catchment area for St Patrick's but will have to go to the new school up beside anfield. Just fyi. It made my wife and I reconsider them because my brothers kids are in St Patrick's and we'd like ours to go there too. I also think the road will go out to porterstown? Think there'll be over a 100 houses there and depending on where they are could be noisy with the m50.....so you should take a drive over and see where you'd like to be. Carpenters town is a nice area.
Good luck with your search
H

Thanks. I reckon the 4 bed semi 1600 sq feet/ 150 square metres will be about €550K, but thats my guesstimate. Not worried about schools issue as kids already in st patricks.

I got an email from from Hamilton Park yesterday on other side of St. Patricks and price will range from €400k to early €600ks. They will be selling 3 and 4 bed in September. Are these in catchment of CCC?
Does anyone know if Diswellstown Manor will be in catchment of CCC? I already have my child in St. Patricks. I heard of another primary school about to be built but have not heard of another secondary school or does anyone know?
I am interested in 4 bed semi in Diswellstown Manor and have gone to Fingal Co. Co. to look at plans.Can anyone update me further?

Ccubed, no idea about the catchment area of CCC issue. Maybe ask Castleknock Community College (CCC)? Got the email as well about Hamilton Park

As a matter of interest, why are you choosing Diswellstown Manor over Hamilton Park? Any interest in Bracken Park?

Last edited:
I feel Bracken Park houses are overpriced and show house was looking into older estate nearby.
After looking at plans of Hamilton Park and Diswellstown Manor I felt houses in Diswellstown Manor were nicer and surrounding areas had more green space and not as cluttered. They seem to have started building at Diswellstown Manor. I was up at school tonight looking at site.
I can contact CCC to see if these estates will be included in their catchment area.

Would not have thought 4 beds in Bracken are overpriced but it seems they are having problems selling the 5 bed/ 3 storeys. Rang Hooke Mc Donald about diswellstown manor. They don't have details of launch date or price. I would speculate that 4 beds would be about 530K

You can see from Property Price Register that people are not paying those list prices at Bracken Park, there's about 15-20% less being paid in fact.
I agree that Bracken Park is overpriced, good location but overcrowded development with no space for parking, gardens etc. or common spaces.

Would be interested in renting in one of the new estates in Diswellstown but that might take a little while before anything becomes available for rental.

In fact the prices at bracken are not 15%-20% less- new house prices on the regsiter are net of VAT, so you have to add on 13.5% to the list price

For the money being asked. All these new development seem be to squeezing green space, gardens, and parking to a minimum. That would be my only concern.

Be interesting to see if any of these are in the catchment for CCC. Currently the school is over subscribed. So if these areas were included it would exclude existing nearby areas.

Rang Castle knock Community College (CCC) and they told me that CCC would take kids THIS COMING YEAR from bracken/ hamilton park & diswellstown manor. So at the moment they confirmed they are in the catchment area

I was also looking to downsize to a three bedroom house in either estate. These houses are advertised as large. They are certainly not large. There are no south facing back gardens and they are tiny. The cheapest decent size four bed is over 600k.(with no access to St Pats school. I am selling a very large south facing 4bed house with large attic conversion( c.w on suite). It is in show house condition, and would suit a large family. I no longer need all the bedrooms as my kids are grown up. You would be guaranteed access to Pats and CCC. And you would save yourself 100k!. My house is on luttrellstown rise. It is much closer to all amenities than Bracken.

The standard 3 bed at the school (not Bracken) is certainly not large (as the utility room and the disabled toilet take a lot of floor area away). However the large 3 beds at the school are quite spacious (i've seen the plans in fingal). My understanding is that the large 4 beds (1600 sq foot) are about €495- €525K- there was an article in the indo property supplement about 4 weeks ago where alliance auctioneers were quoted as saying that whilst hey are not selling these, they would be in the low 500s. Some second hand house prices in castleknock / carpenterstown have dropped about 5-10% - most myhome alerts i get are about price drops. The advantage of a new house is that they are relatively maintenance free, they have a great ber rating, built to a high standard and everyones a newbee to the area (so better chance of gelling with the neighbours).

Disadvantage of course is possible estate mgt fees and the 2 parking spaces. Estate agents a recent viewing have told me second hand house prices in this area are dropping.

RE Bracken- yes they are not near any facilities but they do look great!

Sherry Fitz have sent me a price guide. The small 3 bed with tiny south facing back gardens (only suitable for storing bins and growing moss) are starting at early 400s. I take this to mean 420_425. The decent size 4 bed will cost early 600s. Their figures. The greedy builders are at it again. These houses are prefabricated and are put up in a few days. The existing houses in luttrellstown were built by Park Developments. They are practically maintenance free. They could easily be upgraded to an A rating by fitting a solar panel and a new boiler. With regards to getting to know the neighbours,there are several new couples with young kids who have moved into our quite cul de sac recently. They told us they chose there to get their children into schools nearby. I noticed the porches on the new houses. They are very basic and ruin the look of the house. Unfortunately, with the shortage of new houses in the area the builder can and will get whatever price he wants. People should boycott high prices but they will travel from all over Dublin to buy these because of the amenities. The property articles I have read state that this is the most sought after area in Dublin. It is true that prices of 3 beds in the area have dropped. July and August are always slow. I think when people see how overpriced these new builds are,they will start looking at existing houses with improvements,larger south facing gardens and more parking. A lot of existing 3 beds have attic conversions. The 4 bed houses in Hamilton Park are 3 story. A lot of stairs to vacuum and although the square footage seems big,the actual footprint is small. Therefore the rooms on the ground floor are quite small. Sorry for going on but in an ideal world the builder would be left with these. These houses were built to maximise the no of units Over 90%of these houses have back gardens facing north west or east.They are also very close to the m50. I used to live in Park Drive and it was quite noisy and the fumes from the traffic can not be healthy. That was 10 years ago,the traffic has increased since then.The best of luck with your move wherever you decide.

Good to exchange info! I agree with some but not all of what you are saying. I have been in these houses under construction. My understanding is that the price range is low 400s to low 600s as well, but low 600s refers to detached 4 bed houses that are about 1650 sq feet ish, which have good orientations. Agree the 3 storey 4 beds are smallish downstairs, but the 4 bed two storeys are spacious downstairs IMO (these are the predominant 4 bed type).

Just to be clear - Hamilton Park development is also built by Park Developments.
For those upset/concerned about space in the house (sq. footage) and garden space, please refer to current Dublin area and Fingal County development planning restrictions. I am very close to someone who was working on the planning for this development and due to area restrictions, the developer was very limited in many ways. This is the case for all of central and greater Dublin- current planning laws restrict for higher density to plan for future growth so you will see all recent and future developments in and around Dublin will have limited space capacity.
As regards to July and August being slow, that doesn't account for price drops. Slow months in sales results in just that- less transactional volume.
What will have an impact on property prices in Dublin in the next year is where a buyer could purchase a 400k house with a 40k deposit now needs 68k in cash.

Excellent post LD hood. House price drops I refer to were in April / May 2015 . For example a detached 4 bed dormer house in this area has dropped from €600K in mid Jan 2015 to €535K in May 2015. House prices IMO are stationary or dropping in Castleknock / Carpenterstown in Q2 / Q3 2015.

I see 23 Luttrellstown Rise 4 Bed Semi Detached House sold for €420K on the 20th August - just up on the property price register

Last edited:
I don't think the point about the builders being limited to density in this case has helped the purchaser. What the builder has done to overcome this is to give people ten foot north facing back gardens! What will impact house prices is as always, supply and demand. Once the market picks up in Autumn prices will increase as usual.Anyone moving from a three bedroom to a four bed will not be affected by new deposit restrictions. Twenty years ago we spent three to four times our annual salary on a home. Now we are spending over eight times! Have we lost the plot. Over half a million for a three bedroom family home.The builders must be laughing at us. The Diswellstown development is funded by NAMA. We as tax payers have already bailed them out. Now we are giving them over 300k per site! I know we are where we are but that doesn't mean the builders ate not ripping us off. We have learned nothing. The proper bubble is starting again. Just think about it ,over six hundred thousand euro for a house in Carpenterstown. Its crazy.

Well we'll all know in a few weeks time!

Personally, I don't think house prices are going to increase, as average incomes are not going up and there are now restrictions on mortgage lending to the buyer of the mover uppers home. I don't know where you are getting €500K for a three bed from- ok Fairhaven in castleknock are €500K but thats a totally different location to carpenterstown.

Just re diswellstown manor, my understanding is nama bought the site for €5 million, there's 109 (or 119?) houses going in there, so its €50K ish per house site?

I know a few good builders. The max cost of building a 3bed house is 150 to 200k Max. If the builder is charging between 425 to 500 for a detached house ,he is getting between 275 and 300 for the site. The houses in unfairhaven were a joke. Only really suitable for a couple with one child or a retired couple. Hook and McDonald told me most of the sales were to people selling bigger houses in the area. From what I've heard they are struggling to take bookings on the next phase.

Back