New House - Gas, Phone, ESB

C

cullenswood

Hi,

I'm moving into a newly built estate house in the next month or so and had a few questions about the connections.

It had natural gas heating.....how much does it cost to get connected and do we phone Bord Gais ourselves?

Thinking of getting a phone line in, has anyone any experience with the Esat Talk and Surf Bundles?

I presume we just phone the ESB, and they'll connect us?

Sorry for all the questions, but they are just a few things that I'm not sure about

The gas should already be in if it is in a new housing estate.
The ESB is the builders responsibility for getting connected, so all you have to do is take a reading when you get the keys and ring it through to the ESB. They will charge the builder for the amount used up to then.

As for phone, it is 129 to get connected, and if you are lucky it should only take 24 hours as the line may already be in (should be if it is a new housing estate). I don't know about using a different provider from the beginning but there are plenty of threads in the archive describing the different companies you could go with.

Thanks,

So does that mean that there is no big connection fee to BordGais, and we just phone them up to set up an account?

Couldn't find any other threads on the phone issue

esb

builders phoned us to go in and sign form for ESB and bring to our local office. ESB then come out and connect ESB on numerous houses at the same time. You will not have to take a reading as it is a new house.

WRT phone line we have arranged for our old # to be transferred to our new address in a couple of weeks time. we gave an estimated date of moving in. connection is €129. Engineer has to call out to our house and sort this. Phone 1901 but be prepared for a wait as they take ages to answer.

Re: esb

I dont know anything about connection fees for Bord Gais. I am moving next week so should know then.
As for ESB, I highly recommed a reading as the builders will have been using the power tools in your house to be doing things like shaving the doors and cutting tiles etc.
You can get a key to the reader box in any ESB shop for free (according to ESB the other day).

You can't connect direct with Esat I think unless Eircom have installed a line first. The local loop is unbundled but currently..due to change soon allegedly.....you still have to pay Eircom line rental no matter who you make your calls with.

I stand open to correction though...

WRT to Bord gais, all you have to do is ring them up and set up an account, or you can do it online, then they will come out and switch on your meter.

Re ESB, Builder should give you a form with their details on it (registered electrical contractor and all that), then you fill in the rest with your details, post it back and they will come out to switch on the supply. BTW, should be no need to take reading as builders could not have used your supply before the ESB come out to install the meter, which they only do when you tell them. Builders usually have generators or else run cables from one supply box located on the site.

not true collieb.

We were down in our house last week and the power is on.
Rang the ESB and they said it has been active since the beginning of March. They have already sent out a bill for €85! (mind you, they said this was an estimate).
The lady on the phone told me to take my own reading and call it in.

boardgais

in my case with a second hand house I simply called and gave a current reading...there was no connection fee on the first or subsequent bill...there is a supply charge which is inherent to the rate you select to pay, it will be charged from the 2nd bill onwards in the case of the standard rate

Back