New Charge on CC I closed months ago (annual credit card protection)

marco

I closed my credit card account with BoI about 3 months or at least so I thought. Anyway yesterday I received a new bill which had a new charge on it, from a company that I have been using for credit card protection. It was set up as an annual charge on my now closed BoI CC

My question is , is it legal for BoI to still allow companies to charge to your closed credit card account?

I ran them up and they said they were legally obliged to accept payments on direct debits etc. but this sounds a bit strange to me.

My credit card account does seem to be closed as I accidently tried to use it for an online purchase and it wouldn't accept payment.

I just find this situation a little strange, and if anyone has any advice or has experienced this situation I would be interested to hear.

Re: New Charge on CC I closed months ago (annual credit card protection)...

Yes, they still have to accept such instructions as far as I know.

It is the cardholders responsibility to cancel any DDs when they are closing the account.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Just need to get rid of this credit card protection so!

Surely, if you request your credit card provider to close your account, and the carry out your instruction, then any direct debits and such like from your credit card will be refused as the account is closed?

I think the issue here is BOI refusing to action requests to close credit card accounts.

I too have recently written to BOI requesting that they close my credit card account. I paid off my balance, paid the credit card levy, and asked for a statement that I'd paid the levy so that I could get credit for it on my new credit card.

They cleared my balance, they applied and cleared the credit card levy, but left the account still open. The blatantly ignored my request to close the credit card account.

ronan_d_john said:
Surely, if you request your credit card provider to close your account, and the carry out your instruction, then any direct debits and such like from your credit card will be refused as the account is closed?

No-if the direct debit originates from a time prior to the time the card is closed, they must honour it (unless you have cancelled it)-it is in effect the same as a transaction authorised but not processed. I was billed for a transaction undertaken in Croatia nearly a year after I closed my BoI account.

If you think about it, there would be an incentive to authorise transactions and then close the account before they are processed to avoid them.

ronan_d_john said:
I think the issue here is BOI refusing to action requests to close credit card accounts.

I too have recently written to BOI requesting that they close my credit card account. I paid off my balance, paid the credit card levy, and asked for a statement that I'd paid the levy so that I could get credit for it on my new credit card.

They cleared my balance, they applied and cleared the credit card levy, but left the account still open. The blatantly ignored my request to close the credit card account.

I've had pretty much the same problem with BoI Card Services and will never use them again. The account was in effect 'closed', i.e. there were no new transactions processed on the account (which is not the issue here-the DD is a transaction existing as the time of closure), but getting the letter to confirm that stamp duty was applied prior to closure for my new CC provider was a huge ordeal.

My boss also had this problem with BOI CC - he has cancelled all direct debits, paid all charges including the government €40 fee (even though he requested closure before this charge went through) and sent several letters instructing them to close the account as it has had a zero balance for 3 months - they are still sending out statements every month....

This also happened to me a couple of years back with BOI. You need to get in contact with Card Protection and register your new card if you have one as otherwise you will not be covered. Remember you can register as many cards you want and only pay the same fee a year.

Back