new business, property lease question

CARRIE.B

Hi,
I am slowly getting closer to setting up a new business, have a property that I am very interested in leasing, it is an oldish building that was used for business up to 3 years ago but has been vacant since.
Am going to approach the auctioneer in the coming days regarding price and lease details.
I am aiming to try get a 5 year lease, the property will need painting inside and possibly outside, along with adding 1 interior wall within the building to create an extra room, adding a large gate/door to a side yard... The property seems quite damp internally as has been vacant for 3 years and no heating seems to have been on at all.
just wondering when people are taking out a lease and where some work is needed on the property, is it best to try negotiate a lease free period in lieu of doing this work or should part of this work be taken on by the owner of the property? Will be getting a solicitor to go over the lease when the time comes before signing anything. Also thinking of getting a survey done on the building and getting this included in the lease and going to get a planner to have a look at the building in the coming days.

any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Back