Nestor Martin Stoves - Anyone bought and using one?

polo1

Am thinking of buying a Nestor Martin solid fuel Stove XH type and just wondering if anyone has experience with them? Are they efficient ? Has there been any problems with them please

Thanks

Hi Polo1,

Not much help to you in terms of answering your question, but I too am considering one of these. For some time, I've been looking for a solid-fuel stove with contemporary looks and just stumbled on the Nestor Martin at the weekend. Are you going for the traditional or contemporary look?

apple 1 - am definately going for a contempory one with an aluminium door. Priced it some time ago both on mainland Europe and here and it was more economical to buy it here from the guy in Galway (name excapes me). I think the model is XH 33 (but I think this might be upgraded)... I am ringing them again this afternoon and can let you know the details as I have to ask him about a flue to fit a anki chimney system etc..

... more economical to buy it here from the guy in Galway (name excapes me). I think the model is XH 33 (but I think this might be upgraded)... I am ringing them again this afternoon and can let you know the details as I have to ask him about a flue to fit a anki chimney system etc..

www.murphyheating.com

I have one which I installed in my new house earlier this yer. I'm delighted with it so far. Only use it for wood & is extremely efficient. Very controllable & easy to use. I find that on full, it will heat not only the room its in but a couple of adjoining rooms as well.

Duffman. Do you mind me asking which model you went for please? I am looking at the RH 33 in alu... Did you buy yours from murphyheating in Galway? Thanks, Joanne

I can't remember exactly which model it is but I think its the H Line. We looked at a few of them at the time & as far as I know they all operate in the same way - i.e. woodbox technology - the bigger the stove the more heat will be achieved. I bought mine in the fireplace & stove center in Waterford.

there is a good seller in co. tipp.: ryans stoves ( i have no connection other than wandering in) who gave me a price €100 cheaper than a different crowd with a "special offer" at the self build show in millstreet. theyre prob in the yellow pages.

Thanks Joanne. I'll be pricing a # of models with a seller in NI over the coming days and will let you know pricing of same. Good to hear some positive feedback from other posters.

I spent the weekend installing an insert stove in the sitting room and a stove in an extension we have just added . I'm waiting for the cement to dry before lighting , so I can't comment on the efficiency .
One of my concerns was ths small size of the ash-trays , but the shop provided me with the names of people who already have one and they confirmed that it was sufficiently large . It's always worth asking the shop for the names of "satisfied customers".
As I was getting 2 stoves ,I searched the internet for continental suppliers ( BE NL DE and FR ) and found that prices for Nestor Martin are amazingly similar to Irl . Last year when I bought a UK stove , I found UK suppliers to be much cheaper even with €70- delivery cost.
When you are shopping around do ask about the cost of flue liner, flue reducer and the other bits and bobs that cost a fortune , in my case €330-. A builder friend told me that they have massive profit margins on these bits of tin.
pjq

pjg
Could I ask you how much it cost and what model it was please. If you like you can PM me. Thanks

has anyone installed a stove/insert in an airtight house? i am hoping to do this in a house with a HRV system and im not sure if i will need to install seperate air intake for both, one option would be to put a 4 inch pipe in the foundations and connect it directly from the outside to a flue which goes into the stove, the other to connect through the wall to the back of the insert. has anyone done this? what do you think?

Polo,

I have PMed the info , I had called a few places and found that all had the same identical price !

pjq

I have the RH33 model sitting in my sunroom - waiting for someone to come out and install it...

Cost - it was around 2000 including remote. From Forde Furniture. It is an "ok" service.

Kildarebuild

Hi Kildarebuild,

Have you a chimney or flue to exhaust the fumes? I also plan on installing one in a sunroom (to the front of the room) and am wondering how best to exhaust the fumes. I don't have a chimney and don't necessarily want a flue protruding through the face of the sunroom. Thanks, apple1

It is free standing then inserted into the wall - into a flue. Goes up chimney. you can always create a new chimney....

We've got two - an insert model and a freestanding one.

They seem very well built and clean modern design. The airwash glass cleaning is ace - turn the stove to warp speed and the glass cleans itself!

We got ours from the Stove People in New Ross, no connection.

The only comment I would make with the freestanding model is that there's no point having a small fire in it and if you fill it up it gives out a LOT of heat. With different draughting arrangements this may be different.

We also have HRV and we've taken care over detailing but we're not "airtight" (not building Ice Station Zebra, after all). We've not noticed any problems with draughting etc. with the HRV on or off.

SSE

Hi SSE, Is the insert model the Runswick, and how does it compare with the free standing one?

I'm thinking of replacing my open fire with the Runswick, just fitting it into the existing fireplace, but because only about 5" will be external, I'm wondering will most of the heat go up the chimney like the open fire.
I intend burning logs and smokeless coal.
Thanks!

Cheese ,
We got a runswick last year and found it to be fantastic , no more drafts , coal or firelighters , we light at 6pm and let it die down at 9pm , the room retains the heat as there is no draft , we burn logs that have had time to dry and find it only needs a fraction of the fuel needed by an open fire . However we were not able to fit it into the old fire back ( which was slightly cracked) and had to remove lots of rubble before it fitted in snugly.
This years project is a Nestor Martin IT13 insert for the sitting room , I have lit it for the second time tonight , and it looks great , the flames dance on the wood , I'm not sure that it 'blasts' heat into the room as quickly as the Runswick does when you light it .but it's too early for me to compare .

pjq

Popped into Forde Furniture (Kilcock) to pick up parts for the stove yesterday evening, arrived at their store in the middle of no-where at 5.50pm. Proceeded to go inside and was told that the place was closed.

We had already made arrangements to pick up the parts before 6pm that day. But the staff were not very helpful to say the least.

Just wanted to say i am very disappointed with them, considering that i brought the stove about 4 weeks ago, delivered 2 weeks ago (on a saturday night at 9pm) and i still have not been able to use it because of delay with the parts, like yesterday evening.

Thanks
Kildarebuild

I have the RH33 model sitting in my sunroom - waiting for someone to come out and install it...

Cost - it was around 2000 including remote. From Forde Furniture. It is an "ok" service.

Kildarebuild

Back