Neighbour dumping in my yard.

AngstyTeen

I live next door to this family in question who are constantly getting on my nerves. Their kids are always running through the garden, throwing balls in the windows and staring as you walk past, the parents, however might be considered worse. On a few occasions, they have parked their cars wherever they like, literally blocking entrance to my driveway. I don't drive, but it's still an annoyance. The father of the household trims his gigantic hedge once a year, and every year, without fail, he trims the side hanging over the wall separating our gardens (the hedge grows from his side) and leaves all of the clippings strewn across my garden without any consideration for me or my family. Do I have grounds for any kind of legal recourse or do I have to fill my bins with his mess, yet again? Keep in mind, the house is rented and I have never, not once talked to this man and his family.

Keep it that way. Dont draw them on you otherwise they will give you a terrible time. Rake up the clippings, bin them and just get on with your life. Its easier that way. Trust me.

Keep it that way. Dont draw them on you otherwise they will give you a terrible time. Rake up the clippings, bin them and just get on with your life. Its easier that way. Trust me.
They're already drawn onto me, it's too late for that. I don't really care about easy, it's about respect. It may not be my property but I have to live here, this family has absolutely no respect for me or my home. I don't wear a fancy suit, sitting in an office all day, I work hard for my money and I'm sick of spending it clearing up his mess every year. It's not easy to put rationale into the mix when you've been on your feet for 12+ hours and come home to a huge mess that you have to clean up and dispose of. I think it's very unfair of him to do that.

In for a penny, in for a pound then. It's urban warfare . . . and by the sound of it, you will lose. Those neighbours you have will not change their ways.

But, I bet your other neighbours keep quiet and have left all the dirty work to you. Is there any hope of some kind of empathy or support from them? If not, just retreat and hope your dreadful neighbours move on.

I suppose that you could always place the hedge cuttings back on top of the hedge. I live next door to a rented house and in 20 years not one of those renting have even bothered to cut back hedges, ivy, trees etc. Just ignore them. We all have these sort of problems.

Angsty teen,
Moneybox is 100% correct.
I do understand your annoyance , but and its a BIG but,
Life can be a bit messy and on scheme of things to even think about a neighbour dispute on something as small , just ain,t sensible .
If you feel so righteous over hedge clippings once a year and its become a case of (respect) then be prepared to have your life ruled by hedge clippings ?

They own the clippings from their hedge, so you are fully entitled to return them. Even if you cut parts of their hedge overhanging your garden, you are legally [broken link removed] to return the cuttings to the owner.

So you could return the cuttings to their garden saying you didn't want to break the law by holding on to them...

I've a totally different take on this. My neighbour in Ireland used to come into my garden and cut 'his' hedge (I reckon he originally planted it so he considered it his) and leave the clippings for me, always done when I was gone for the day. We didn't and don't speak since the night I arrived and I was drilling a hole at midnight to put up a shower curtain (first house, broke, sleeping on mattress and enthusastic about our first house and didn't understand 'estate living' nor about how someone with kids might be upset)

I was delighted he cut the hedge, I didn't have a machine and who wants an extra job.

Just so as I understand it, what's the big deal about putting the clippings in the bin, if you'd also to cut it wouldn't that be a lot more work.

While the hedge is one of the problems with this neighbour, it is probably the least. The neighbours are not the best and what is not written here is probably way more serious than what was written. I feel there are more issues here and AngstyTeen has walked into the trap. The other neighbours will have cottoned on to this and in the good ol' Irish Squinting Eyes Spirit will contact the Gardaí anonymously regarding whatever is happening untoward in the estate and AngstyTeen will be credited as the one who brought the Gardaí in.

Update:
I queried my neighbour about when he planned on cleaning up after himself, things got quite heated, voices were raised, threats were made. Ultimately, he agreed that this was a very childish situation and has since cleared my yard. All is well within the community now, although my mothers dog is still a nuisance. I'd like to thank all of you for your helpful advice, hopefully I won't need it in the future.

Back