Motor Need help in insuring a 29 yr old learner cheaply

wednesday

My Czech friend has a full EU licence with 6 yrs NCB. He has a car insured in his sole name using this NCB. His daughter (29 yrs old and also Czech) has an Irish learners permit and he wants to help his daughter by insuring another vehicle that he owns with her as a named driver. He knows that he cannot use his NCB twice.

Could he remove the NCB from his current policy and apply this instead to the new vehicle? If he does this, what are the implications to his insurance if, for instance, his daughter is caught driving alone?

First thing to realise is that the named driver is not supposed to be the main driver of the car.Also,it is illegal to drive alone on a driver's permit.
Finally,if you remove the NCB from your current policy (can you even do this?),the premium could double or treble depending on current discount.

Aviva have a very good learner driver scheme, they provide accompanied only cover for six months with the obligatory lessons and a pre-test, it got my son on the road economically, we bought a 2nd car, insured that in my wife's name and added him as the named driver as a learner on a permit, the costs were reasonable, try them but your learner should not drive alone, it will invalidate the insurance and is against the law.

The Aviva policy I speak of which targets learner permit holders as customers stipulates that the named learner permit holder must be accompanied when driving at all times, in our case accompanied meant by either parent who were named.

This is accompanied driver cover only and made very clear on the schedule, my view would still be despite Times brief assertion to the contrary that the cover would be invalidated if he were driving alone and involved in an accident, i.e the company have a way out, is that incorrect...?....cause if that is not the case then why stipulate it as a condition.

The problem is that my friend feels that he's doing his daughter a favour and despite me trying to explain otherwise...he's having none of it. I wanted to be able to present him with some worst case scenarios.

His english isn't great and so he tends to come to me or hubby when he needs help/clarification when dealing with insurance companies and the like. I've managed to get him a VERY good deal on his own insurance but due to his daughters lack of experience and length of time having a provisional I am struggling to get similar results for her despite her age. Thanks for the pointer towards Aviva - I'll have a look at them and suggest it.

They would only have a way out of paying a claim under any comprehensive sections of the policy.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1961, insurance companies must pay out all 3rd party claims regardless of the behaviour of the policy holder/driver. So anyone damaged or injured will receive compensation.

The sting in the tail is the insurance company can try to recover any amounts paid out to the 3rd party.

The Gardai will not prosecute anyone if this happens as there was an insurance policy in place at the material time.

Does anyone know how much completing and passing Aviva's Ignition course will reduce the premium by? I've has a good look and it's quite vague. It doesn't say either how much the Ignition course costs to do.

No charge for the ignition assessment first time, if successful premium reduces by 5%, person must have full licence before ignition course is available to them.

So still a waste of time. They must be at that racket for the last 20 years.

My only experience with the ignition course and discounts related to successful completion of the ignition assessment is after the learner gets their full licence and is going onto an insurance policy for the first time in their own name.

Suggest you call and discuss with the experts....Aviva.

Back