NCT due again in 6 months.

All NCT centres nationwide may not have the same backlog issues.
I had a recent test and subsequent retest in Kilkenny with minimal booking difficulties and the NCT centre was nearly empty both times.
The quietest I have ever seen it.

Thanks folks for the replies & comments - I think I will get it tested again in 3 months time and that will cover me for the next 15 months. It shouldn't fail again in the next 3 months...........hopefully!!

Thanks folks for the replies & comments - I think I will get it tested again in 3 months time and that will cover me for the next 15 months. It shouldn't fail again in the next 3 months...........hopefully!!
So...if it took nine months (instead of seven months) after the due date to get a test, that test would be valid for 3 months only. But if one went again the following day, the second NCT would be valid for 15 months?
Madness piled upon madness.

NCT is a total farce. At present a 10 year old car can be given a 15 month certificate. Then at renewal time this car is placed on a waiting list for up to 6 months.
Net result is that this car can be on the road for up to 1 year and nine months without being tested. Revenue generation is more important to NCT that road safety.

The NCT is a point in time assessment of a vehicle or more specifically, the testable components of a vehicle, against a set of minimum standard's. It, logically, subjects older cars to a more regular inspection programme than newer cars. It's designed to raise the basic minimum mechanical standard's of the national fleet by withholding a certification that over time will ensure substandard vehicles are removed from the fleet.

The NCT is NOT a certificate of roadworthiness nor a validation of a vehicles current or expected future mechanical state nor does it absolve the owner of their obligation to maintain their vehicle appropriately. To rely on an NCT that was completed 11 months ago or 11 days ago is foolish. Obviously the extended duration gaps between tests were not intended, with the rules designed around incentives etc., as mentioned.

The NCT improves road safety indirectly and over time. It does it's job.

The backlog started during the covid lockdowns because they closed the nct centres for months then a go slow but then never forwarded the retest dates for all cars to account for this. People were not driving much anyway during the lockdowns because only essential workers were driving to work everyday and everything else was closed therefore they could have easily moved the retest dates forward for all cars to account for this but they stupidly left nct retest anniversary fall as normal pretending nothing had happened. It was utter stupidity and madness the nct company was compensated anyway for the lockdown closure. The lockdown backlog has thus never been cleared and simply rolled on forward to today. Great success

That would make good sense. But it is not the rules for the NCT - it goes on the date of original registration.
Could be wrong here but did that not change during Covid when they extended pre 2016 cars by 4 months
I know mine used to be in January when the car was registered but has now moved to April

Could be wrong here but did that not change during Covid when they extended pre 2016 cars by 4 months
I know mine used to be in January when the car was registered but has now moved to April
They did. But wasn't it 3 months? Mine used to be due in September, but since the COVID extension it's now December.

Edit: just checked, and it was 4 (not 3) months. I guess that mine used to be early September as it's now late December.

Back