National learning center false advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddyjnr

Dear sirs/ ladies,
I am in receipt of Invalidity pensions and I spotted a free course that would get me back in the work force as I am going stir crazy.
I added up my out goings which allows me to have food to the tune of 25euro a week for food.
Under further inspection I noticed that they give an allowance of 40 euros a week under the FAQ.
I was delighted and sent off my forms ready to begin a new life.
I rang the man in charge only to be informed that this is discontinued.
My heart sank, would any of you kind people know where i could get an allowance, i wouldn't need much just enough to buy food and mayby pressies should the time arise for my nieces birthdays.
I am already receiving food vouchers from saint vincents de paul until my rent allowance is fixed up.
I have written to them expressing to remove the false advertising as it is not part of their policy.
Any help would be deeply appreciated.
thank you kind people
[broken link removed] [broken link removed]

Could you clarify what specifically you're looking for here?

You mention false advertising, but there's no mention of what advertisement you're referring to and you then ask about allowances. You'll get a much better response if you clarify and perhaps split the questions into multiple threads in the correct forums.

Hi Paddyjnr,

I think you need to details your income/outgoings here, people might be better placed to help then with relevant advice.

False advertising is something entirely different to what you've experienced. No less frustrating though.

They may perhaps have already updated their website - looking at the link you provide and checking under allowances it says the following:
upload_2015-12-7_14-54-31.png

i have discussed this with nlc and they are adamant i will not get an allowance, after all my outgoings I am left with 26 euros equivailant to 77 dollars for food which is near impossible to survive on.
my Problem is they are false advertising and i want to report this to the relevant oratories but i dont know where these are in Ireland.

my Problem is they are false advertising and i want to report this to the relevant oratories but i dont know where these are in Ireland.
As previously advised this is not false advertising. If you have a complaint you should write in directly to the NLC directly.

But I already did over the phone and got no response only the government cancelled it a few years ago and there are people up here doing the the course up here for nothing with a nasty tone

What response were you expecting from them? It isn't false advertising, you have not (I am guessing but please correct me if I am wrong) paid them any money on the basis that you would get €40 per week and they seem to have updated their FAQ section as there is no longer any reference to €40 in there. I don't think there will be any authority you can report them to, especially if they have already addressed the concern you raised about their website.

I'm guessing again but is the bigger picture that you are feeling frustrated in not getting the €40pw? Is that really the crux of the matter? I don't know much about social benefits so I am not best placed to help there but maybe focussing on the major issue would be more useful. NLC aren't going to start providing service users with an allowance they seem to never have been the source of (if the government cancelled it, they would not be replacing it themselves), I am guessing you still want to do the course but are put off by the affordability aspect?

Last edited:
Presumably you will keep all the invalidity pension and entitlements you have if you undertake this course. It is hardly the fault of the NLC if your social welfare entitlements don't provide you with enough to live on. Is an extra allowance really a necessity to help you afford food and to do the course? You say that this course will help you to begin a new life

Dear sirs/ ladies,
I am in receipt of Invalidity pensions and I spotted a free course that would get me back in the work force as I am going stir crazy.

[broken link removed] [broken link removed]

Invalidity Pension is a payment for insured people who are permanently incapable of work because of an illness or incapacity.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...isability_and_illness/invalidity_pension.html

I don't get this, why do you want to go back into the work force if you have been awarded a permanent pension due to being 'permanently incapable of work' :cool:

why you cant get this is invalidates can work given the right training, The place I want to learn in specially caters for people with disabilities. I want to try and get back into the workforce. i can't believe you have people asking such silly questions on the this forum. I see a darling little down syndrome girl working in Tescos every day who always keeps busy and has a smile for everyone. do yo deny er the right to work???

They may perhaps have already updated their website - looking at the link you provide and checking under allowances it says the following:
View attachment 997
No I ave spoke to the organizer and he says they no longer give an allowance and and that was only Friday. he also said people do it on no benefit up here in a rather snippy way. Yes probably people that don't have 25euros left after paying the billls excluding food a the end of the week.

I'm guessing again but is the bigger picture that you are feeling frustrated in not getting the €40pw? Is that really the crux of the matter? I don't know much about social benefits so I am not best placed to help there but maybe focussing on the major issue would be more useful. NLC aren't going to start providing service users with an allowance they seem to never have been the source of (if the government cancelled it, they would not be replacing it themselves), I am guessing you still want to do the course but are put off by the affordability aspect?
Yes you are guessing right , i want to get back to the work force but I dont want to starve on the way with 25euro for shopping.

why you cant get this is invalidates can work given the right training, The place I want to learn in specially caters for people with disabilities. I want to try and get back into the workforce. i can't believe you have people asking such silly questions on the this forum. I see a darling little down syndrome girl working in Tescos every day who always keeps busy and has a smile for everyone. do yo deny er the right to work???

I think his point is not intended to be silly. It is actually possibly very pertinent. By definition it looks like if you can be deemed able for work you wouldn't be entitled to the invalidity pension any longer. It might be worth having a chat with someone in Social Welfare about the implications of taking a course or even getting back to work and whether there are any supports for re-entering the work force.

The girl with Down Syndrome does not meet the criteria for invalidity pension - she is capable of working. Possibly, she may be in receipt of supports in order to facilitate her working but it is a different support and a different matter. I'd be very careful assuming that any impairment automatically means that the person is being supported by the state financially, there is no reason to assume she isn't earning her own keep and being paid for work on the same terms as her peers and co-workers.

No I ave spoke to the organizer and he says they no longer give an allowance and and that was only Friday. he also said people do it on no benefit up here in a rather snippy way. Yes probably people that don't have 25euros left after paying the billls excluding food a the end of the week.

Telephone conversations can be a minefield. You cannot see the other person so unless you know them you cannot know how they are physically reacting to the conversation. The non-verbal cues we all use to really understand the other person. You felt offended by his tone that much is clear, but it is more likely a mutual misunderstanding than any malice on his part. The FAQ has been updated. It doesn't take that long to change a bit of text on a website - though sometimes you'd be forgiven for thinking it is an arcane mystic art the way some people approach it! It may have been prompted by your call or letter or something else. I don't think pursuing it further will be of any benefit or give you any real satisfaction and it is difficult to see any avenue you could pursue it through.

Yes you are guessing right , i want to get back to the work force but I dont want to starve on the way with 25euro for shopping.
That is the crux of the matter then. You feel stymied on an attempt to make your life better. It seems you cannot take the course without suffering a drop in income (I am assuming that in the regular course of things you wouldn't have to subsist on €25?). I am guessing you are still looking to take the course then? Would it be worthwhile postponing taking it in order to build up a small amount of savings to help cover the added expense? It may be even more worthwhile to talk to an appropriate person with the social welfare system to find out if there are any consequences or pitfalls in terms of you trying to make yourself available for work and to see if there are any supports available in your specific case.

50euros is what i have now to spend.
I have got my social worker , doctor and another person who is friends with the top man to fight my case, i have received 50euros food vouchers each week for the last two weeks but they said they will finish up in 2 to 3 weeks until my rent allowance come through probably a mere 27euro or none at all as i'm over the threshold of 250, my rent is 375euro. To be honest i feel like ending it all which i tried twice in the past 3 monts by slashing my wrists. My Rent goes up to 850euros in January.
that leaves me with 425euros out of pocket. I could survive on 55euros on grocers and outings and prezzies for my nieces at that.
That been said I apologies for the down syndrome lady. I thought we were in the same bracket.
My sincere thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back