My car was stolen and I can't get a valuation.

If price wars are the cause of fast depreciation, then it should be a short term effect, rather than something intrinsic about EVs that makes them depreciate quickly.
True. More players like BYD entering the fray would see the incumbents continue to drop prices to compete. The legacy manufacturers can no longer rely on generous government grants and perks like free tolls to make a €50k EV seem better value than a €35-40k ICE equivalent, so I'd expect prices to continue to fall in the coming years, albeit at a slower rate. Battery technology is still in rapid development though, so that brings a risk of higher depreciation in the EV space until the rate of advancement slows.

True. More players like BYD entering the fray would see the incumbents continue to drop prices to compete. The legacy manufacturers can no longer rely on generous government grants and perks like free tolls to make a €50k EV seem better value than a €35-40k ICE equivalent, so I'd expect prices to continue to fall in the coming years, albeit at a slower rate. Battery technology is still in rapid development though, so that brings a risk of higher depreciation in the EV space until the rate of advancement slows.
I think if you buy smart, you will do OK.

I bought a 2nd hand Kia eNiro (long range) 18 months ago. Bought new for €46k, I bought 2.5 years old with 50,000 km on clock for €33k. It's probably doing OK for depreciations. Actually my company bought it and there are still big advantages to getting an EV company car.

Am now thinking about replacing my dying ICE car with a second EV. There are now some fantastic new deals like the MG ZS long range for €33k. I expect depreciation would not be too bad there either. Also will look into my wife who is a sole trade using accelerated capital allowance on the purchase.

Ask a reputable car dealership or failing that, a professional valuer.
This is the correct approach. Did you buy the car from a main dealer or a garage? The value of a standard car is the value such a car would have as a trade-in against an equivalent new vehicle. The garage from which you bought your car should be able to provide such a valuation.

Back