MRI in Dublin - where and how much?

dubinamerica

HI - having moved back a number of months ago I failed to set up health insurance off the bat .. Seem to be paying for it now mind you !! After a few hundred being spent for phyiso now my other half needs to get an MRI. I just rang Charlement Clinic and the cost is around 390 (per scan). Does anyone know of other venues in or outside Dublin that can do an MRI? The alternative seems to be to wait on the public list which could take 6 to 8 weeks , which is not feasible. Any information on this would be great. Also - the physio orignally told him NOT to get an MRI and having spent a couple of hundred euros on physio now thinks it would be worth his while . He had wanted to get one in the first place but physio put him off. I'm thinking that there is no sortof come back on this but any suggestions as to how he could handle that ? Ask physio if he could get one or two sessions at reduced cost ? Change physio?

Re: MRI in Dublin - where and how much ??

I don't know if you'll be able to find it any cheaper than the price you already have - I paid €411 two weeks ago for an MRI in St. Vincent's Private Hospital. I'm not sure if that's the standard charge for the MRI or if the charge varies according to which part of the body they scan.

AFAIK, they won't do it unless you have a referral from a GP/Consultant.

For what it's worth a colleague was paying up to €1K for emergency MRIs in the last few years.

Hold onto all medical receipts and claim against your tax in jan 07. You could get 20% or 42% back less 125 (single) or 250 (married). Don't forget to claim prescribed medicines also.

Hi - thanks for all the feedback. I rang around some places and got the following quotes:
Charelment Clinic - 390 (but nothing til the end of March)
St Vincent's Private - 495 ( this Saturday)
Brookfield Clinic in Rialto - 400 (some day this week) .
So - we went with Brookfield Clinic as they had the best availability
I'll be sure to hang onto the receipts : ) Thanks.

My colleague says that the VHI do not cover his MRIs. Possibly because they were not done under the public heath system or by referral to a consultant or something like that...

VHi will pay for an MRI if you are a patient in a hospital under the care of a consultant.

Marion

Almost as an aside MRIs scans seem to be very routine these days for almost every kind of ailment presented - are they really required or is it a case of referring people to use capacity?

Roy

Is it not possible to claim for an MRI under the VHI outpatient care scheme? That seems crazy.

onekeano said:
Almost as an aside MRIs scans seem to be very routine these days for almost every kind of ailment presented - are they really required or is it a case of referring people to use capacity?
My understanding is that they are often used as a follow up to get a more detailed view if an X-Ray was inconclusive or insufficient. I doubt that anybody but conspiracy theorists would conclude that the medical profession is referring people for them in order to use up capacity or justify the cost of a scanner.

My mri was covered under the vhi-I was referred to the Charlemont Clinic by a consultant. I suffer from (constant) tinnitus and it was used to rule out the presence of a neuroma.
jd

ClubMan said:
I doubt that anybody but conspiracy theorists would conclude that the medical profession is referring people for them in order to use up capacity or justify the cost of a scanner.

Except maybe their bank managers who look at the business case before providing the funding for the equipment for the private clinics? Also I would have thought that a doctors insurers would be more satisfied if the doctor covered EVERY possible option regardless of cost to make sure nobody could claim against them.

Roy

onekeano said:
Except maybe their bank managers who look at the business case before providing the funding for the equipment for the private clinics?
The clinics don't control who goes for an MRI - it's the GP or a consultant who makes the referral.
Also I would have thought that a doctors insurers would be more satisfied if the doctor covered EVERY possible option regardless of cost to make sure nobody could claim against them.
Perhaps they would but the insurers don't run the GP's practice and I certainly trust my own GP to act professionally and pragmatically rather than overreacting to all medical issues - large or small - that arise. If anybody does not have a similar bond of trust with their own GP then they really should consider seeking a new one.

ClubMan said:
My understanding is that they are often used as a follow up to get a more detailed view if an X-Ray was inconclusive or insufficient. I doubt that anybody but conspiracy theorists would conclude that the medical profession is referring people for them in order to use up capacity or justify the cost of a scanner.
I went from GP to consultant who, after examination, asked if I had VHI or BUPA. When that was established, I was sent for an Ultrasound Scan, CT Scan, MRI and a scope.

I don't know if he benefits in any way from the fees paid for these tests, I would be surprised if he did. I also don't know enough about each diagnostic procedure to say that perhaps one or more were unnecessary, but it did make me wonder.

ClubMan said:
The clinics don't control who goes for an MRI - it's the GP or a consultant who makes the referral.

Maybe I wrong Clubman but in lots of cases don't the consultants actually own the clinics for example Jimmy Sheehan and co who own the Blackrock CLinic and the new one in Galway? Surely there's a conflict of interest there. Barringtons in Limerick is another I believe.

ClubMan said:
If anybody does not have a similar bond of trust with their own GP then they really should consider seeking a new one.
I for one would have 110% trust in my GP - myself and my family have a relationship going back over 20+ years with him. The OP made the reference to MRI scans and my point was that when the GP refers you to a consultant very very very often now the consultant will almost automatically propose a battery of tests / examinations using equipment that is lots of cases they actually own themselves. The extent of the "relationship" between the patient and the consultant is probably 5-15 minutes and €100-200, quite unlike that with the GP.

I would suggest Delgirl's experience is typical, what most people don't realise is that they are being sent for tests on equipment owned by the consultant and sometimes in facilities purchased with significnant tax breaks at a further cost to the PAYE taxpayer.

Roy

I had an MRI done in the Mater Private Clinic, cost about 600 Euros, but got an appointment really quickly. If you went through the public scheme, it would take months! The VHI will cover if you get referred by a consultant and I think only if it is done in the Charlemont Clinic. Good luck!

onekeano said:
Maybe I wrong Clubman but in lots of cases don't the consultants actually own the clinics for example Jimmy Sheehan and co who own the Blackrock CLinic and the new one in Galway? Surely there's a conflict of interest there. Barringtons in Limerick is another I believe.

I for one would have 110% trust in my GP - myself and my family have a relationship going back over 20+ years with him. The OP made the reference to MRI scans and my point was that when the GP refers you to a consultant very very very often now the consultant will almost automatically propose a battery of tests / examinations using equipment that is lots of cases they actually own themselves. The extent of the "relationship" between the patient and the consultant is probably 5-15 minutes and €100-200, quite unlike that with the GP.

I would suggest Delgirl's experience is typical, what most people don't realise is that they are being sent for tests on equipment owned by the consultant and sometimes in facilities purchased with significnant tax breaks at a further cost to the PAYE taxpayer.

Roy
While I share some of your concerns about tax subsidisation of private medical clinics, I'm not too worried about abuse of test procedures. I expect (though I've no inside knowledge) that VHI and BUPA have reasonable control procedures around paying for such expensive tests. If some consultants are much more trigger happy than others in ordering tests, I'd hope that the insurers would take action.

Back