Moving out of Council house

swgirl

We are living in a council house, and are thinking of moving out due to problems with a neighbour who continues to make our life a misery. Now the woman would be mentally unstable so there is nothing that can be done.

I know we were lucky to get house at the time and that loads of people would be so glad to have a roof over their heads, but the situation is intolerable for us at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience of the above, and what happens when you hand a house back. I know if you are getting a mortgage you get some money towards it from the council when you are handing back a property

thanks a mil

M

I guess you just sign some document notifying them that you are leaving then they hand the house to someone else after you have left and they have checked that you left the house in the condition it was handed to you in.

If you are renting and not buying then one option I am aware of instead of simply moving out would be to post an advert looking for a transfer. Some people with families in one bedroom flats or elsewhere will often offer you some 'expense' money for the move. I have seen such offers for transfers from all over the country and I think I even saw some for a transfer to England. If you are lucky the new tenant will make your old neighbours life a misery instead ;-)

Once you have moved, you dont have to stay long in the new place. You can simply hand it back to the council. If you are renting: there used to be a deal where the council would give you something like 10 grand simply for handing a house or flat back to them so they can give it to other families. You could check if this offer is still available.

Thanks Bullworth, we are lucky enough in that we will have the means to buy our own house shortly, and at least someone else will benefit from ours then, we have a lot done to it and apart from the neighbours its in a good location.

I am going to ring the council for clarification

M

Without wanting you to put yourself in harm's way, or to libel or slander your neighbour, if you have had insurmountable difficulties you should consider notifying the Council.
It may be that your neighbour is experiencing personal or medical difficulties that may need professional help and someone in authority should be made aware.
Its not quite turning the other cheek or being your brother's keeper, but it may be a good thing to have done, nothwithstanding your own experiences of them.

ONQ

Onq, I agree totally, this woman has been moved around quite a bit, all of our neighbours have had problems, not just us. She rings the council constantly to complain about us all but their hands are tied I suppose. Its just that I don't want my children thinking this is normal behavior, and as I've said we will have the oppurtunity to house ourselves at last. I will be giving the council a full update on her behavior before I leave.

M

How do you know she rings the council to complain about you ? isnt that sort of information covered by data protection laws etc ?

We know because we have had them out to us to tell us of her woes!!!

We have also had the guards re our dog, social welfare inspector even though neither of us are on social welfare, dog warden, the list goes on and on. As they get the complaints they have to act on them.

We have just reached breaking point now!

M

Have you considered referring her behaviour to the Council? Regardless of her mental health, you are entitled to be able to enjoy your property. It might even help your neighbours who will have to put up with her after you move on.

Yes we have kept them informed but really there is not much that they can do, she is just not well, can't stand the noise of children, dogs, cars etc.

M

Back