Moving from Illness benefit to Invalidity pension

go to you cwo to see if you can get a payment untill you appeal is heard
it is means tested payment as far as i no.
i went in to my swo and they put me on jobseekers even though i told them i wasent able or looking for work

that is correct and if you have more than 5k in savings you won't qualify.

With Job Seekers Allowance the savings limit is 20k and could still get the full rate.

It is special type of jobseekers where you are excused having to look for work.

Will this apply to people aged 65 next year that may have to claim Job Seekers while awaiting the State Pension at 66.

Last edited:
It is funny how you can meet the requirements for IB for 8 years yet you can't for IP. Madness.

Thats what I cant understand I get IB but nothing else,I get a 6 months sick cert from the doctor,and thats what the social welfare want.

They always back down once an appeal hits Dublin. It is just a case of waiting patiently.
The appeals officers are well aware of the carry on in Longford.

They always back down once an appeal hits Dublin. It is just a case of waiting patiently.
The appeals officers are well aware of the carry on in Longford.
That's good to know Time. OH is in receipt on IB since March 2012 and now sending in certs once a month. Been refused twice for IP. On his behalf I have appealed and also requested under the freedom of informations act his medical notes in their entirety from the local hospital - let them put that in their pipe and smoke it ;)

I was refused IP but my appeal was granted. That was 2 months ago and still no response from Longford. When I call they are so rude and unhelpful. Anyone know how long before payments commence after appeal allowed. I am now desperate s no money coming in since end of May. Can anyone help?

There are grandfathered claims that allow the claiming of IB indefinitely.

I was refused IP but my appeal was granted. That was 2 months ago and still no response from Longford. When I call they are so rude and unhelpful. Anyone know how long before payments commence after appeal allowed. I am now desperate s no money coming in since end of May. Can anyone help?

Contact your local TD and have him speak with the minister. You won't be long getting sorted then.

so iam reading through the household benefits package in a nut shell if my wife works i will not get it.is this right??

If you get Invalidity Pension and your wife earns over €310 then you will not be eligible for Household Benefits.

If she earns less you should be applying for Household Benefits and a Qualified Adult for her as she would get a small portion

ok so my medical card is up for renewal at the end of the year.
I will more than likely be over the treshold for it now as i got married this time last yr.
But i have read that there is a good chance i can get it for myself as iam on Invalidity pension and will be in and out of hospital for the next number of months/year getting treatmant for my condition.
will i need to start looking to get it renewed now as i do not want it to run out while iam getting treatment or when i have to meet my consultants,gps,physios,ect

If you got married last year and your wife is working it is likely that you are already over the income guidelines so you should have informed them of your change of circumstances.

However there is a possibility that they may allow you to keep your medical card for yourself only (based on your on-going medical treatment) so your choice is to inform them now of the changes of circumstances or leave it till renewal date

Hiya do you mind if I ask you how long you were waiting for this decision, Thanks.

Back