Moving from Illness benefit to Invalidity pension

alex salmon

I have been recently notified that I have been granted invalidity pension which is excellent news.

I am currently getting illness benefit and I was due to obtain another certificate on Thursday this week. Do I still need to attend the doctor and obtain a cert?

Do they automatically close the IB claim or do I have to do anything?

well done getting the invalidity pension its not great but its better that illness benfit ,as far as i can remember alex they will tell you in a letter when you invalidity pension payment starts along with any back pay.
i would keeping sending in the certs,(all they can do is send it back to you thats what happen to me when i went on to invalidity pension)

Please note that invalidity pension is taxable so if your spouse is working they will be taxed on this if jointly assessed. This affected us when my husband moved to invalidity pension.

Tax is not an issue as herself does not work at all.

All I wants to know is what is the official position when someone moves from IB to IP.

I don't want to be wasting the doctors time sending in a cert where it is not needed.

Once your invalidity pension begins, you no longer need to send in certs.

The changeover from one scheme to the other should be automatic, your illness benefit claim will be closed off by the Department.

I am finishing Illness benefit and applied for Inv Pension but was refused as the deciding officer said I was not permanently incapable. My doc says she will not sign off that I am fit for work so cant apply for jobseekers. any advice???

permanently incapable.
This is not an absolute requirement for IP.

The rules are:
To qualify you must:

Have been incapable of work for at least 12 months and be likely to be incapable of work for at least another 12 months (you will probably have been getting Illness Benefit or Disability Allowance during that time)
Or

Be permanently incapable of work (in certain cases of very serious illness or disability, you can transfer directly from another social welfare payment or from your job to Invalidity Pension).

It seems the DSP are ignoring their own guidelines.

you can apply for job seekers.go in to them an tell them that you are appealing invalidity pension decision,thats what i did .you will more that likely get the lower end payment but its better than nothing.

How long does it take for arrears to issue? Claim is now in payment 3 weeks now with no sign of 18 months worth of arrears.

I have appealed the decision not to grant to deciding officer. Ki assume that will not sort but then intend. To appeal to medical board. Does anyone know what is involved in appeals procedures?

pension

I have been on illness benefit for 8 years,i applied for invalidity pension feb 2012
they told me on april 2013 that I dont qualify for it so I appealed against there decision, and was refused again,I have now appealed again july 2013 to Dublin,my Doctor gave me a letter which says I will not be able to work again, due to my illness.so the rules they make they dont keep 12 months before and 12 months after it is over 8 years for me.can anyone help

This is a serious issue with the Longford office. They are not applying the correct rules and this has been borne out on appeals to the appeals office.

Appeal it to Dublin and get your local TD involved, they don't like that one bit.

I have appealed to Dublin 4 weeks ago my TD did sent a letter for me, but said it could take months for the appeals decision,I have sent surgeons letters doctors letters everything you could ask for and was still turned down by the first appeal,

Standard practice in Longford I'm afraid. They are a law onto themselves.

Thanks Time, if you think of anything that will help me please post,and why does Longford get away with it?I am 61 next birthday.

go to you cwo to see if you can get a payment untill you appeal is heard
it is means tested payment as far as i no.
i went in to my swo and they put me on jobseekers even though i told them i wasent able or looking for work

It is special type of jobseekers where you are excused having to look for work.

Back