Motor Insurance: NCB and policy change question

fluppet

I am insured on my parents car (comprehensive). I am a 20yo male so it costs quite a lot. I have just passed my driving test. I think I should now be removed from the insurance because I do not think I will be driving anymore for quite a few years. My father says that we should keep me on the insurance so that I build-up a no claims bonus (NCB). I am currently in university and afterwards plan to do my masters and PhD, so it is likely that I will not be driving again until I am almost 30. I know that you can (with Hibernian anyway) only have a maximum of 5 years NCB, and I currently have about 2.5 years. What do you think? When I do eventually start driving again, to claim my NCB with my previous insurer does that insurance have to have been active within a certain amount of time - i.e. if I take myself off the insurance now and then sign-up for insurance again in 8 years can I reclaim my 2 years NCB? If I have moved to another country by then (e.g. the US), will they recognise my NCB with an Irish insurer?

My second question is regarding charges for policy changes. I believe Hibernian has a charge if you make a change to your policy. As I have now passed my driving test I will tell them that which will reduce the premium (so they will owe us money the next time we renew the policy), but will there be a charge to change my license type? If I subsequently decide to remove myself from the policy in a few days it will have been a waste of the fee to change the policy for my new license type.

Few things here, your not earning a NCB, your earning "named driving experiance" as a NCB is issued in the policy holders name i.e your mam or dads name. Generally your named driving experiance will only stand for 2 years after you are taken off a policy.
You are due a refund from the date you passed your test, you dont have to wait till next renewal.
There should be no admin charge if you are insured directly with the insurance company, if you are thru a broker the broker may charge an admin fee.
Id fine out how much you are costing (with full licence) on the policy. say for eaxample you cost €300, €300 x 10 years = €3000 you (or your parents!!) will be paying for you not to drive a car.
Id get taken off the policy if i were in your situation

You will get a discount for having named driver experience, however it must be up to date. So if you're not planning on driving for 10 years it would make more sense to come off it now and go back on a few years before you want to get your own policy. Then you would get a discount with most companies.

Back