Most common misspellings (on Askaboutmoney?)

This one is really starting to get to me..........

EG. "I don't want to end up loosing too much....."

I can only assume they mean "losing".

Its all over the place.

This one is really starting to get to me..........

EG. "I don't want to end up loosing too much....."

I can only assume they mean "losing".

Its all over the place.

Yes, that's an irritating one, as is "it's very quite" ... when I can only assume they mean "quiet". I see it all the time in business to be honest ... from people who really should know better. The trouble is that nobody corrects people any more, for fear (I believe) of being ridiculed for being a perfectionist of some kind.

Agreed, but while "quite" and "quiet" sound quite ( :) ) similar when spoken, I can somewhat understand the confusion, but "loosing" and "losing" sound nothing like each other.
Anyway I suppose we can't all be perfect. ;-)

Agreed, but while "quite" and "quiet" sound quite ( :) ) similar when spoken, I can somewhat understand the confusion, but "loosing" and "losing" sound nothing like each other.
Anyway I suppose we can't all be perfect. ;-)
No, just you and I SparkRite!!

The most commonly misspelt word in Ireland today is undoubtedly "panini" - it is everywhere! Blackboards, menus, tv/radio, everywhere "...paninis" ! Everywhere "...a panini" !

"Panini" is a plural (Italian) word meaning "sandwiches" . "There are panini on sale", for example. The word is not singular, and you can not add an "s" onto it. You can not say "there are paninis ..." .

The singular of the word is "panino", ("a sandwich"). "A panino & soft drink", for example. You can not say "panini" for the singular - you can't say "a panini ...". Aaaaaaagh !!

Adding an "s" to a plural word is like adding "s" to "children" or "women" - many womens have childrens who eat paninis .... a women who has a children should buy a panini ....

Last edited:
A funny one lately is a bank draught instead of a bank draft. I would have assumed it was just plain wrong, but maybe not. According to dictionary.com:

"Draught is a variant spelling of draft and is normally pronounced the same way."

Back