Mortgage query

Brookner

I am currently investigating building a house on land that my parents have given me. I am a single parent of 2 and already have a mortgage on a 2 bed house . If i intend to build will i have to reapply for a new mortgage or can i transfer my existing mortgage? I am working part time with the health service for 4 yrs and hope to be made permanent part time in december. Can anyone advise me on the best financial options i can take towards building my house?

You can't 'transfer' an existing mortgage to a different property as each mortgage relates to a specific property. You will have to apply for a new mortgage which may take into account the sale of your current property (in todays market). The new mortgage is subject to your mortgage eligibility.

To start a new build, you may be eligible for a top up on your existing mortgage depending on your current assets and personal financial circumstances. However without a permanent position this may not be possible regardless of your repayment capacity/mortgage eligibility.

Back