Mobile phone insurance for iPhone 7

emeralds

My daughter has been saving her babysitting money and is really keen on the iPhone 7 128gb which is coming in at approx€850.

I think it would be a good idea to insure it. Gadget Insurance is quoting €84.99 per annum. Is there a cheaper way of doing this - would all risks on our home insurance policy cover it I wonder?

I enquired a couple of years back about adding my mobile to my home insurance policy and was told I could only do that at renewal and I know a friend was told the same from her insurance company but probably worth enquiring anyhow. The price you got from gadget insurance sounds pretty good I was recently quoted 15euro per month for a similar priced phone through the store of purchase and Apple's own policy would cost 149 for 2 years cover and won't cover theft.

All Risks on home insurance would be cheaper. However, they might not add on till renewal date and more importantly, a claim could mean a loading on the entire house policy, especially if you have a no claims bonus.

Thats what I'm afraid of Ravima.
Having googled phone insurance the general consensus seems to be to avoid the phone store's own insurance and purchase it separately.
Just checking again and the gadgetinsurance will cover it for 7.99 per month (for loss/theft as well as damage). Think it would be worth it for at least the first year if not 2 years....

... keen on the iPhone 7 128gb which is coming in at approx€850.
€890 unfortunately. The Apple insurance / extended warranty looks like poor value. Apart from their one year warranty, the Sale of Goods Act provides warranty on the phone itself. The excesses for repairs / faults look excessive to me, so what are you actually paying for?

€890 unfortunately. The Apple insurance / extended warranty looks like poor value. Apart from their one year warranty, the Sale of Goods Act provides warranty on the phone itself. The excesses for repairs / faults look excessive to me, so what are you actually paying for?
Loss or theft are the two most likely risks that I think need to be covered. At least for the first year or two (until the next version of iPhone comes out!)..
Will contact our home insurance company today and see about putting it under all risks.

Damage to screen etc. I have a samsung s7, screen got cracked and it was 225 to replace it. Versus an insurance excess of €95. Because phone is now water resistant it will push up repair costs.

Back