Motor Mistake on proposal form

Lemonade

I got a great quote from an insurer and decided to go with them. They took the money off me upfront (which alarmed me) but told me this was normal. When I got my proposal form, it stated that I had no claims when I had 1 small one which I told them about. I rang and was told not to worry, they had a note of it on file but their IT system couldn't change the proposal form. Is it enough to change the proposal form and send it back to them? Thx..

You could be in trouble here.

You should change the proposal form you have, return it by registered post, and enclose a letter asking them to return a copy to you. That way you will have proof of delivery and more important, acceptance by them.

'one small claim' could invalidate NCB from 50% (full) to ZERO.

follow this up.

I had a house insurance claim so when I changed companies I needed a letter from old company saying Id a claim, turns out the letter had 2 down, one the first year of my five yr old policy re a washing machine flood, took me ages to get this sort turns out the actual leak was in the same address but different county and got attached to my policy. My new company took me on but with the provision I did not have the leak claim and I needed a letter to state this.

When I got my proposal form, it stated that I had no claims when I had 1 small one which I told them about. I rang and was told not to worry, they had a note of it on file but their IT system couldn't change the proposal form
Similar happened to me last year. I just amended the form, took a photocopy, and returned it. I try not to over think these things.

I don't know any insurer who's IT system can't re issue a proposal form, I would be skeptical of this. Manually changing the proposal is fine but can you prove that the company received it (other than registered post which will only means the postal dept. received it)? I would ask them to issue it in writing (be it a new schedule or a stand alone letter) noting the claim details and they're acceptance of same. You can't be too careful when insured directly with an insurer IMO.

Thanks for all your good advice. I had my doubts about the whole thing and decided to cancel my policy. Waiting to get a refund. So that should be fun...

Back