Missing Tenant

SeanA

I have house with 4 tenants. One has gone missing for the last 5 weeks with her rent unpaid. She has left all her possessions behind, computer too. I did have her contact details on the inside of her rent book, but she has removed this. What are my options?

Concerned about welfare too. She is a student. The other tenants believe if something was wrong her mother would have contacted them.

One of the other tenants might have contact for her mother. In the interests of the girls safety and whereabouts I'd advise to contact her parents.

Did you get home nos./references from her when she moved in?

Do none of her co-tenants have any contact details? Do they know where she studied (or worked part time if applicable)? Could you chase it up through her college (or workplace)? Have you considered reporting the issue to the Gardai just in case?

Call off the search, thanks for all your advice. I contacted all not to much avail. Eventually found a number for her parents after ringing several people of her family name in the Leitrim area. She had done a runner cause she hadn't money to pay the rent and was too afraid to then come collect her personals. I get the feeling she'll be even more afraid to go home now!!!

Fair play to you for being concerned about her welfare. Will you chase her for the rent now? Or let her take her stuff?

Make sure to get your money. You would be setting a bad precedent if you let it go. Also for herself, she should not be in a position where she feels she can benefit from running away. Let her know that you have no problem if she takes her stuff as long as you get the money. Life is not easy and no one should ever be let believe that running away is the answer.

Back