Men's issues being discussed

S

S.L.F

Is anyone interested in going to this event on the 19th of this month?

[broken link removed]

If I was in Dublin maybe. Topics worthy of discussion, a bit 'heavy' for a full day though.

I'd go if I had the day off but while the topics are will worth airing but, as with some equally valid feminist issues, the discussion can be clouded by people with way too much baggage and can turn into woman hating/men hating diatribes.

I'd like to see events about domestic violence (not domestic violence against women or men specifically) and mental health and suicide in general and not gender specific discussions. That said I know that women have a much louder voice in these areas so it's good to see some acknowledgement that men can be the victim too; "It's a crime to hit a woman" was a case in point as it's a crime to hit a man as well.

I was talking to a Garda over the weekend and he said that it was a much bigger issue than drugs but because it spanned so many government departments there was no real interest of addressing it. He called it a silent epidemic. He also said that it mainly effected young men so it was ignored. The thing is that addressing as an issue only facing young men leaves those young women in that dark place to face it alone. The same goes in the other direction for domestic violence.

I'd go if I had the day off but while the topics are will worth airing but, as with some equally valid feminist issues, the discussion can be clouded by people with way too much baggage and can turn into woman hating/men hating diatribes.

You need to clarify if it is 'feminism' or 'women's rights' to which you refer?

They are very different things you know.

The vast majority of people in the world support equal rights/opportunities yet the vast majority of people in the world are not feminists.

All the women I know and speak to all support equality in all forms yet just about all of them do not self identify as feminists.

I am 100% behind compassion understanding and respect for all people regardless of gender, race, nationality, creed or anything else, which is exactly why I am opposed to feminism in all it's forms.

You don't need to be a feminist to believe in equality.

"It's a crime to hit a woman"

I don't know if many of you have the misfortune to watch First Dates on channel 4. Mrs. Firefly loves it so I get to watch it too. Anyway, if it's the girl who "rejects" the guy, a cartoon-ey thing is shown where a woman slaps the man in the face. The first time I saw it I was shocked. If it was applied to when the guy "rejects" the girl, it would cause hysteria.

I was talking to a Garda over the weekend and he said that it was a much bigger issue than drugs but because it spanned so many government departments there was no real interest of addressing it. He called it a silent epidemic. He also said that it mainly effected young men so it was ignored. The thing is that addressing as an issue only facing young men leaves those young women in that dark place to face it alone. The same goes in the other direction for domestic violence.

Just to point out to you that domestic abuse is not nor has ever been a gender issue, both men and women suffer almost equal rates of domestic abuse, every single unbiased survey and report shows the same thing.

The Irish government spends along the lines of €22,000,000 per year of Domestic abuse services for women and €50,000 on male services all of which goes to Amen.

Just to point out to you that domestic abuse is not nor has ever been a gender issue, both men and women suffer almost equal rates of domestic abuse, every single unbiased survey and report shows the same thing.

Have you any evidence to support that assertion.

I don't know if many of you have the misfortune to watch First Dates on channel 4. Mrs. Firefly loves it so I get to watch it too. Anyway, if it's the girl who "rejects" the guy, a cartoon-ey thing is shown where a woman slaps the man in the face. The first time I saw it I was shocked. If it was applied to when the guy "rejects" the girl, it would cause hysteria.

It is only bad if a woman is hit, men are barely beasts and little else it seems.

Not even have the constitutional right to have custody of their own flesh and blood.

Have you any evidence to support that assertion.

How much evidence do you need?

if you find the questionaire for this survey you'll note they never ask the most obvious question anywhere, "Who hit who first" or "Is the violence mutual".

There are people who don't subscribe to the "men's problems are all their own fault" ideology of course just see Deborah Capaldi who did a 13 year study and found women are more likely to attack first and men who are supposed to be abusers were just defending themselves, see here.

Then when it comes to women being violent you need look no further than the [broken link removed] which made a determination that 1/3 women across the EU suffer abuse and that 1/4 women suffer abuse as well.

The problem is they didn't ask questions like "Were you hurt when your partner was defending themselves", "Who hit who first" or "Is the violence mutual".

The really good question is exactly why feminists and the left generally speaking doing so much to hide a really obvious truth, "Monkey see, monkey do"...ie that domestic violence is trans-generational.

Just search the EU website for any mention of .

Then go to the and check them out too.

Then go to the and do the same

Last edited by a moderator:
How much evidence do you need?

i

This is a press release from Amen. Interesting but only what you would expect

This seems to be from a disinterested scientific paper it concludes

"Whereas physical aggression toward a partner has been assumed to be a male-only phenomenon (Walker, 1989), recent studies have consistently found that women and men have engaged in some level of physical aggression toward a partner at relatively equal rates (Archer, 2000)."[/QUOTE]

huge study done by the Council of Europe
This does not support your case in any way that I can find, it appears to be about abuse experienced by women exclusively.[/QUOTE]

This is just a google search

and check them out too.
This is the same google search as the link above

This is about diabetes.

So some evidence from the US, a press release from a mens organisation and nothing.

You know a thing about feminists is that they care enough to present their points carefully

i

This is a press release from Amen. Interesting but only what you would expect

That came thanks to the ERSI report on domestic abuse in Ireland, I don't have the report near so I can't find the link for you.

This seems to be from a disinterested scientific paper it concludes

"Whereas physical aggression toward a partner has been assumed to be a male-only phenomenon (Walker, 1989), recent studies have consistently found that women and men have engaged in some level of physical aggression toward a partner at relatively equal rates (Archer, 2000)."

Says pretty clearly what I know to be true, women are just as violent as men are.

This does not support your case in any way that I can find, it appears to be about abuse experienced by women exclusively.

Very good.

Now think a little harder.

The specific women who are suffering at the hands of their partners are "Non-heterosexual"....ie men mostly not around.

This is just a google search

How about clicking on the links and finding anything relating to "male victims of domestic abuse"....

This is the same google search as the link above

Ditto

This is about diabetes.

Apologies, I was in a rush

So some evidence from the US, a press release from a mens organisation and nothing.

You are just not bothered with looking are you?

You know a thing about feminists is that they care enough to present their points carefully

That's right.

Being well funded and having the state at your back to help does help greatly.

Whereas men like me are the ones who have to hold down full time jobs to do what we do because we can see clearly the bias and double standards which work against men.

I listened to a man on NewsTalk yesterday afternoon talking about his experience of domestic abuse. It was quite upsetting and, as a separated father, something I could relate to strongly.
He said that the team in AMen who support men in his position was made up of three women so it was not a misogynistic women hating group. He did speak about how helpless and voiceless men are and how they can be controlled by their former partners using their children as leverage. This is something which I can also relate to.
It does not mean that women beat of kill men to anything like to same extent as men do to women but men who are victims of psychological or physical abuse are almost invisible and the attitude of most people, both men and women, is that they should "man up". It's simply appalling.

It does not mean that women beat of kill men to anything like to same extent as men do to women but men who are victims of psychological or physical abuse are almost invisible

The biggest problem here is what people consider to be abuse.

If someone is abusing you over a long period of time and you snap and thump 7 shades of [banned word] out of them then it is you who be classed as the abuser not them......only applies if you are a dude of course.

If it is the other way around she'd be classed as a hero.

The rates of domestic abuse have been almost equal ever since time began.

To ignore that women are just as capable of domestic abuse is to belittle them.

Domestic abuse is not now or has ever been a gender issue.

I thought I'd share this.
In my opinion it's an offensive, disgusting piece, written to offend.

If a man made such sweeping sexist comments they would be rounded on and rightly so.

I thought I'd share this.
In my opinion it's an offensive, disgusting piece, written to offend.

If a man made such sweeping sexist comments they would be rounded on and rightly so.

It's called feminism...

Did you know that a feminist group managed to get the original articles on the poster campaign removed?

See here

I disagree that it's called feminism. The author may characterise herself as a feminist and indeed she may well be one but it is a blind and bigoted intolerance which is at the heart of this piece.

It requires a disturbing level of indifference to another group of people to talk as she does. It strikes me that there can be a strong element of narcissism in people who seek to establish a hierarchy of injustice with the group they identify invariably at the top.

I am a separated father who has been on the receiving end of our societal bias towards women. That does not mean there are not other societal biases against them. I would certainly not suggest the sexism men now face is as bad as that which women faced in the past. That doesn't make any of it ok though; equality should mean just that and those who point out that men get abused too are not invalidated the abuse faced by women. It should not be a fight for validation, it should be a mutual struggle for true fairness.

Last edited:
I disagree that it's called feminism. The author may characterise herself as a feminist and indeed she may well be one but it is a blind and bigoted intolerance which is at the heart of this piece.

I judge them by their deeds.

Now it's easy to prove me wrong.

Show me any feminist article (mainstream) that has anything good to say about boys, men or masculinity without wanting to change them into a feminist version of what they should be.

A quick Google search found this from a woman writing the the Daily Telegraph

What has this got to do with anything?

Let's go through the article...

and he’s “not aware of a single area where women are disadvantaged relative to men.”

After saying this she calls him a sexist bigot.

Perhaps you can tell me an area where women have less rights/opportunities than men have?

I'm not aware of any.

Take the tough new rape rules, which saw Director of Public Prosectutions Alison Saunders explain that ‘no means no’ isn’t enough. Men need to ensure that their sexual partners have given affirmative consent.

Just men you'll note...

Meninism is the semi-satirical name given to a movement sprung from men’s rights activists (MRA). On Twitter, its main goal is to mock feminism. But many ‘meninists’ really do want to spread the word about issues affecting men. It’s similar to a Reddit subculture, known as ‘Red Pill’ – a group of social media users who feel that men, not women, have been socially disenfranchised.

Actually "Meninism" was brought about by male feminists who wanted their own movement.

I believe it started in the 1970's

Maybe it's the terminology that is disenfranchising men - intelligent men who care about social justice and equality, but don’t feel that their voices are being heard? The sort of men that feminism, ironically, needs.

Everyone cares about social justice and equality....that's why most people do not identify as feminists.

No one heard of the hashtags #KillAllMen #EndFathersDay #ToxicMasculinity....they didn't come from nowhere and they were not exactly frowned upon by feminists.

But I find it hard to believe that the ‘bottom of the pyramid’ is full of men. We just can't ignore the fact that many serious issues almost exclusively affect women - such as sexism and the gender pay gap.

Others affect both genders - such as domestic violence - but have a dramatic slant towards women. Currently two women a week in the UK are killed by a current or former partner.

The author ignores that walk through any town or village, it is men who are the ones who sleep rough and end up dying by freezing to death, the recent article about a woman who was sleeping rough shows clearly it didn't matter till it happened to a woman.

She mentions the million times debunked "Gender pay gap" which seems to be like a ghost which refuses to be exorcised despite not being real in the first place.

....aside from what I have written....did you read the comments under the article?

Just about every single one lambasts the nonsense she wrote

Perhaps you can tell me an area where women have less rights/opportunities than men have?
I'm not aware of any.
Women have no legal disadvantages, quite the opposite in fact, but they still face sexism and they have children and so the reality is that in a small business if you are hiring a person for a key role which cannot be done by anyone else a woman who might start a family within the next 5 to 10 years is at a disadvantage. Yes, men face their own problems as well but that's not the question you asked.

Everyone cares about social justice and equality.
No they don't.

No one heard of the hashtags #KillAllMen #EndFathersDay #ToxicMasculinity....they didn't come from nowhere and they were not exactly frowned upon by feminists.
They are, or would be if they heard them, by every woman I know whether they identify themselves as a feminist or not.

Attacking women who see feminism as a battle between the sexes is fine but saying all feminism is anti-men is nonsense.
I heard a feminist author and screen writer being interviewed. I can't remember her name but she was the first screen writer on a Soap in the UK back in the early 70's. She said she was appalled by how some women now treat men and she used the great line that "equality does not mean dominance". She's a feminist. Is she wrong?

Back