Medical Card -Changing Pharmacy.

BOXtheFOX

My elderly father gets his drugs from a pharmacist about one mile from his home. He can no longer drive his car. There is a pharmacist within walking distance from his home. Can he just walk in off the street and collect his prescription from the nearer pharmacy just by producing his medical card or does the nearer pharmacy have to be O.K'd by the HSE first?

AFAIK all pharmacies are able, and indeed required, to administer medical card prescriptions. Do make sure that he has a copy of the prescription and the phone number of the pharmacy that he used to use when he calls in to the new place. Once one pharmacist callas the other there will be no problem.
A phone call by you to the new pharmacy explaining your plans will confirm this (or not if I’m wrong).

Assuming his medical card is in date, he can just walk in to any pharmacy with his prescription. It's that easy. If he is on any unusual medication, it may take a day or so to order in.

Yep, any pharmacy will do it, I think its the drug refund card that you have to stay with the one pharmacy.

Great. Thanks a lot. Now to convince him to change from the man he has been dealing with for the past 200 years. Old habits die hard.

Hi , If your father is ,as you say, only a mile from the pharmacist, they might deliver the medicine to him as I believe the profit is good on medical precriptions. It might also keep your father happy if he is reluctant to change pharmacist

Back