Med 1: Medical Expenses & Deductions

Manuel

Hi!
Quick question please:
For 2015, I claimed from my VHI for my medical expenses and got partial refunds.
So on my Form 11 I will state the full cost of the expenses and deduct what I got back from VHI.

But for previous years 2012+, I made unsuccessful claims against my VHI, where some of the claims were too old. VHI came back with something like "claim expiry date passed" ...

When I submit my Med 1 for these previous years, must I still deduct what I was entitled to from VHI had I made my claim in time, or can I put down 0 for the deductions as I didn't actually successfully claim them?

Hope the question is clear.
Thanks!
/M.

If you paid €50, and didn't get anything back from VHI, I would claim €50 on MED1 (assuming it's a valid MED1 expense).

Yes, I would, and you don't need to put 0 in the deductions either. Can you claim back more than 4 years though ?

Hi,
Thanks for quick replies ... since I posted, I looked up the wording from Med 1, and it's still slightly ambiguous, I think:

"Deductions - (if none write ‘NONE’)
Sums received or receivable in respect of any of the above expenses
(i) from any public or local authority, e.g. Health Service Executive
(ii) under any policy of insurance, e.g. VHI, Laya Healthcare, Aviva Health, etc.
(iii) other, e.g. compensation claim"

My italics: Deductions were receivable back in 2012 or 2013. They weren't received though.
From 2014 on - or at least by 2015, they were no longer receivable, as VHI doesn't let you claim as far back as Revenue do.

So it seems a bit unfair on the taxpayer to take the hit for an individual who didn't bother to claim his entitlements from his private health insurer in time.

And yes, I can claim back as far as 2012 in 2016:
"Time Limit for Repayment Claims
A claim for repayment of tax must be made within 4 years after the end of the tax year to which the claim relates."

Can I add a question onto this thread pls? Pal of mine who is only working about a year and new to claiming her med receipts says she finds it difficult to fill them for VHI and her Med 1 form. She wanted to know if there is anyone she can send the lot to and get them for a few to fill and reclaim on her behalf. E.g an accountant or somebody. I am not great on these forms either so am of no help to her.

Can I add a question onto this thread pls? Pal of mine who is only working about a year and new to claiming her med receipts says she finds it difficult to fill them for VHI and her Med 1 form. She wanted to know if there is anyone she can send the lot to and get them for a few to fill and reclaim on her behalf. E.g an accountant or somebody. I am not great on these forms either so am of no help to her.
She'd be better off doing them herself. The forms are not complicated.

If she can't fill the med 1 pop in with it and the receipts to a Citizens Information office and they will more than likely help, it's a very easy form.

Manuel- if you got nothing back from your health insurer then no deductions from med 1 claim, did you get any money refunded already on the expense is what revenue want to know so that you won't be claiming twice for the same expense.

My boy had en eye operation which was fully covered by VHI at source, less an excess of 125 Euro.
Can I claim that 125 Euro as an expense on my Med 1?
Thanks!

Last question on Med 1 please:

"Individuals for whom you wish to claim" box:

So, if I'm claiming for the kids' GP visits, do I have to list my kids' names and PPSs here?

Or does this mean people other than direct dependents?

Thanks!

Back