MBNA credit card changed to AvantCard

FAO Knuttel - I received my paper statement today, it was dated 21 Mar 13, I set up the payment details on my UB online account and after payment noticed that payment must be received by 19 Apr 13, that is 5 working days from today.

I called them to let them know the delay in statement issue was with them and they say allow 5 business days for a payment to reach them which meant I may not meet their requirements even when transferring online on the day of receipt of the statement, I called because had a significant balance this month and don't want a dispute afterwards when I go to argue about interest being applied..

A 15 minute wait followed, this crowd are really poor, we'll see if I get charged interest, I don't have patience for this nonsense so all former MBNA card holders please review statement date after you receive it by post and watch for this to ensure you do not get screwed by their ineptitudes.

I received my paper statement today, dated 20th March, payable by Monday 15th April. I used billpay.ie for paying MBNA and Thursday is the billpay.ie deadline for processing payments. This always worked efficiently with MBNA payments, I am going to find out pretty soon with AvantCard!

Laser :: Avantcard

Has anyone else come across the Avantcard problem when trying to pay off a balance using Laser? My Laser is with Danske/NIB and has 18 numbers but the Avant software rejects it because they demand 19 numbers... so cant use that method to pay off the balance.

This issue was reported to Avant weeks ago... but no action... same problem hanging online wasting call credit... and they have no email facility..

Has anyone noticed that the payment date has moved back. My Standing Order went out on 15th this month and checking back the earliest ever before was 18th. this is most annoying as there may not have been funds, luckily enough I was covered. I really think things are very poor, no statement history on-line, no recent transactions online, nobody to answer the phone. I wonder do they want the business at all. I was a happy MBNA customer for as long as I can remember and am now seriously considering the options. Perhaps they should be asked to make a statement to clarify

Has anyone noticed that the payment date has moved back.

Yep, I noticed that. Luckily I noticed it online once I was able to register (it's one of the few bits of information given on the overview page, which, however, doesn't seem to be working today either) and I just made a payment immediately. The laser (BoI visa debit) one went through faster than a transfer from BoI online so I'll probably stick with that in future. Very glad I did notice it though as I only received by paper statement on Monday (it may have been delivered on Friday but I was away) and no matter how fast a payment goes through I've never seen one done in less than 24 hours.

Just tried to phone again to check some recent transactions (specifically whether the desposit hold put on the card by the car hire people at the weekend has been 'refunded'), made it through as far as pressing 2 to hear recent transactions, please hold for a member of our team and then was just cut off. Then the number was inaccessible for a few minutes again. On the third attempt I did get through and this time could speak to someone. No word yet on when the website will be fully functional but they were told it should be this week.

I wish to complain about the really poor transition from MBNA to this shower of cowboys,where do I do lodge the complaint?

The Central Bank?

I would urge similarly affected customers to do likewise.

I wish to complain about the really poor transition from MBNA to this shower of cowboys,where do I do lodge the complaint?

The Central Bank?

I would urge similarly affected customers to do likewise.

Based on post #38 above, I'd say it seems like it's the financial ombudsman you need to contact (there's a link to it in that post, too). The article linked to mentions the following: "The National Consumer Agency has also had a number of calls from customers, and is directing them to the consumer banking team at the Central Bank."

Based on post #38 above, I'd say it seems like it's the financial ombudsman you need to contact (there's a link to it in that post, too). The article linked to mentions the following: "The National Consumer Agency has also had a number of calls from customers, and is directing them to the consumer banking team at the Central Bank."

Thanks Janet but do not think the Ombudsmans office is the correct avenue and have no confidence whatsoever in the National Consumer Agency having read comments here on this site.

Will try the Central Bank though.

Rang the Central Bank 01 2246000 and got the usual ould spiel about Avent meeting all requirement when the applied for licence and if you have want to make a complaint then you need to engage in writing with Avent before writing to the Omudsmans office to make a complaint which from personal experience can take up to a year.

What a joke.

Hi Knuttle,

Whatever you do, please don't give in - make the additional effort. The only way we are all ever going to stop having to put up with this sort of terrible customer service, is if we all start kicking a$$

Be strong my friend ;)

------------------------------------
As of 8.30pm this evening ...

Coming soon…

We are putting the finishing touches to your online statement. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Did you know that you can now make Debit Card Payments on our new site? Just go to the Payments tab.

If you have any urgent account queries, give us a call on 0818 409 511 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 2pm

This same message has been on their website, since it first launched ... clearly their understanding of the phrase "coming soon" is very different to my own.

I've just figured out what the thing is on their website that bothers me (apart from the fact that most of it doesn't work, obviously). When I look at the overview, the available balance is emphasised, rather than the outstanding balance. It's in bold and a larger font than all the other information and I keep logging on and wondering how the hell I all of a sudden owe more than I thought.

Note: this isn't a particularly logical thought since I don't use the card and am only keeping it until it's fully paid off but there's always a chance of something going wrong and since I can't check recent transactions online it gives me a start every single time.

I also think it's the type of credit use encouraging behaviour that I thought credit card companies weren't really supposed to use anymore. Like raising your limit without it being requested was. Have to admit I don't remember now if it was like that on the old MBNA page but it is surprising me enough every time that I'm inclined to think not.

Recent and pending transactions are now visible on my online account however there is still no access to statements.

My tuppence worth. As with all on here frustrated with this move to avant.

I must say in fairness have been on phone twice and both times no significant holding and quite pleasant staff. I do feel a little sorry for the personnel. Copping. A lot of understandable flak but not their fault to be fair. Anyhow as website a disaster I could not access my account.

Finally did last week to find as I suspected payment date passed from last statement and nothing paid from me.... Duly paid but concerned that I will get hit with interest and late payment penalty and also show up on my account as non payment for last month.

The lady on phone assured me this would not happen as they were at fault (statement arrived today). I am waiting to see what next statement says. I had similar issue last year with MBNA during ulster bank fiasco.... As they were paperless I was unable to pay that month.

Result was a very abusive phone call from an ignorant woman demanding to know why no payment received! She refused to accept the ulster bank issue and kept repeating the question. All very bizarre as by the time she rang full payment ad gone through but in full flight she kept asking nay demanding an explanation!

I think I eventually told her where to go! ( quite out of character for me)..... I should have quit then! Anyway will see what this shower will bring...... Confidence not high!!!

Yep, just checked and can see previous transactions but not statements yet. However, I did get my statement in the post yesterday so that's two a bit more than two weeks faster than they managed to send last month's one.

Went to pay my statement today and find I was hit with late fee (first ever) as I made three attempts to pay previous bill of less than €10 as my old card mbna was just out and new one avant wouldnt work so had to find the statement to actual scan and pay.

Statements now available online though you can only go as far back as April.

Also noticed my interest rate has taken a big jump,the monthly rate used to be 0.833% its now 1.24%

10% versus 14.88% if they announced this increase or sent me notice of it I certainly didn't get it.

They seem to finally be sorting themselves out.

My interest rate went from .945 to .95 so I'm not going to bother contacting them (finally paid off my balance!)

Knuttell, I think you should call them and look for the rate to be changed back.

Back