MBNA credit card changed to AvantCard

I tried it there using IE and it tells me that I need to ring them, and going by here and boards.ie we are looking at at least 20 mins and some were waiting 40+!!!

I am changing to Tesco, least we will get some rewards for spending.

Hi,

Anybody else with an MBNA CC tried to register it with AvantCard online banking?

I was able to use my MBNA CC online account up to last Thursday or Friday. All attempts to register with AvantCard have failed. They don't seem to be quite ready.

[broken link removed]

I tried last night without success. I managed to register just there now. It is basic enough but I expect improvements in the coming weeks once the next statement is due.

I tried it there using IE and it tells me that I need to ring them, and going by here and boards.ie we are looking at at least 20 mins and some were waiting 40+!!!

Fup that, I am changing to Tesco, least we will get some rewards for spending.

Hello,

Just a friendly word of warning, if I may ....

Having once had the pleasure of dealing with Tesco Visa myself, I can confirm that the Tesco points are a benifit, but the level of customer service is no better than what we're getting here from AvantCard ...

* No online service (unless something has changed in recent times)
* Limited hours telephone service
* Lots of "the computer says no" type answers despite what common sense might lead you to think the answer would be

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Hello,

Just a friendly word of warning, if I may ....

Having once had the pleasure of dealing with Tesco Visa myself, I can confirm that the Tesco points are a benifit, but the level of customer service is no better than what we're getting here from AvantCard ...

* No online service (unless something has changed in recent times)
* Limited hours telephone service
* Lots of "the computer says no" type answers despite what common sense might lead you to think the answer would be

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Thanks for that, I spotted the lack of online and thats a REAL annoyance. I regular check the account to check activity and this is a proper negative.

What are the other options, Danske who I bank with aren't much better.

...What are the other options, Danske who I bank with aren't much better.

Funny,

I actually have a credit card with them at present and I'm very happy.

* Online is very good
* Rate is excellent (granted, I'm paying a fee on an associated current account - "prestige account")
* the couple of times I've used their telephone service, found them good

----------------

Having said that, I'm slow to put my back up card (historically MBNA) with them, for fear of a problem ever occuring with Danske - technical or otherwise, so am looking for a second provider.

All things being equal, I think I may be heading along to AIB as they also seem to have a decent online service and reasonable rates (for some of their cards but have not had a chance to go fully through the detail as yet).

Bonkers.ie have a good website for comparing: http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-credit-cards/

Any other thoughts ?

Trying all morning to register my card. No joy. It's 'not recognised'. Ranf the number and remained on hold for 12 minutes, at which time a lady spoke to me in a very gruff tone, like I was wasting HER time. I guess they are getting a LOT of calls from angry customers. She told me the website was down.Try again in an hour or two. I've since found this thread, and it don't look good at all. BTW, I work in IT / Finance, and I was very unhappy with the amount of personal information required to register online. Worse still was the lady demanded my password before discussing anything on my account with me. I argued that I'd never been asked for a password over the phone. It was actually the 'security word' not my actual login password. Jeeez. Her tone was terrible though. I'm now looking to switch the card. Anyone got any good suggestions? I don't use it, it's just for emergencies. My debit card is Visa, so I like to have a mastercard creditcard for backup.

I'm inferring I can keep paying to the general 90001059 bank account number etc, once I make sure the reference note matches my latest CC number? It does match, as the new card is the same number as the last, just the expiry and CVV changed.

Right?

Thanks

@Mrs Vimes

I can't locate the letter. I have a leaflet Important information about changing to AvantCard in March in front of me that tells that I can continue to make payments through my bank a/c to the same a/c number: 900001059. So that's what I did.

Marion

Hi All
I was unable to use my MBNA CC online last night. Have failed to register with AvantCard today. Cannot reach anyone by phone. This is not acceptable customer service. I am heading for a couple of days holidays on Friday and looks like I will not have use of CC. I will be looking around very shortly for new CC.

Hey everyone,

As a long time happy customer of MBNA - here are my two gripes about Avantcard.

1. I was unfortunate enough to be in a situation where the changeover occurred as I needed to activate my new card. With the website not ready - I had to endure the phone line. After being held for ages I was asked to leave my Surname, First Name, First line of my address, Card Number, then the nature of my query. As I was all set to leave my message, the automated woman says "You have 8 seconds to leave your message". Needless to say I was cut off halfway through calling out the account number. What a farce!? Avantcard are totally unprepared for a takeover that was coming for months and months.

2. I know some people will attack me for this one (re gambling) - but I wanted to deposit money from my (in credit) credit card to my Paddypower online account for Cheltenham. My card was declined. I have subsequently been told that Avantcard's security team put a stop to this and in future I will not be allowed to use the credit card to deposit into my Paddypower account - management decision. I resent being told what I can do with my money - I keep my account in credit and had no problem paying the 2.50 charge MBNA charged me if I wanted to deposit from my funds.
The very nice lad I (finally) got speaking to online more or less told me it was a ridiculous decision and he was VERY sorry.

As someone mentioned earlier - I do not want to risk jobs in Leitrim as I have never had a problem before - but head management in Avantcard seem to have their heads in the cloud about running a business. This is a total farce of a takeover with random decisions being made which will definitely impact on customer numbers.

I'm giving them one or two more weeks to get this sorted - as I imagine people are complaining left right and centre (as the lad I spoke to admitted). But if there is no change I am gone - after 20 happy years with MBNA.
Avantcard management are total muppets.

I've done a test payment via laser/visa debit just to check if that goes through any faster than the one I did from B365 yesterday. Of course, not having any functionality available I don't know if that payment has arrived yet, although I assume not.

Just in case anyone is interested, the test payment I did on Friday via debit card had hit my credit card account by this morning (it showed up as last payment). As far as I can tell the test payment I did from B365 had not yet shown up. I did another bigger payment via debit card this morning and just checking now both that and the B365 payment have both shown up (based on the balance - recent transactions are not yet available to view). So, as is often the case, whatever other problems they may be having, taking your money doesn't seem to be one of them. :)

Tomfox 3

You will be asked to key in the card details when you register. I think I would do this before paying.

However, If the old card is still in date then you could just pay on the MBNA account number.

Marion

Any idea when this crowd will be in a position to provide last months statement?

No statement in the post and I need to check/review it?

What was wrong with the existing online site all they needed to do was remove the MBNA branding and keep it live while they built their own mickey mouse one in the background.

Re registered on new site today. At first was irritated that I had to ring them to find out my credit limit (don't go anywhere near it thankfully so genuinely didn't know). The annoying thing was it kept saying to get it from last statement which is fine except my MBNA statements were paperless electronic and can only be accessed online! Catch 22.!
However rang number and after getting through automated stuff was promptly talking with a very pleasant young lady who gave me the info and stayed on the line while I went through the registration process to make sure all was ok.
I was no fan of MBNA ..... Last conversation was with a very aggressive lady who wanted to know when payment was coming...... This was during a pretty well publicised bank glitch last Summer..... She could not grasp the concept that payment was late because of this. Payment had been put through prior to her call yet we spent a bizarre 20 mins of her asking for payment me saying it has been done and her saying.."I can't accesss your accountto verify.... Now when can we expect payment"!!!!....... So given today's encounter I am prepared to give them a chance.... Can't be worse.... Though to be fair MBNA set the bar fairly low!!!

Still no statements available on the website and they seem to have just copied the FAQs from the MBNA site because try as I might, I can't find what they talk about in this one:
How do I switch back to paper statements?
You can revert back to paper statements at any time. Navigate to 'Manage Account' tab and click 'Resume Paper Statements' link, then select 'Paper statements' in the 'Choose your statement delivery' option and submit.

Since they don't send out paper statements and don't seem to email them to you either, they really need to get it sorted that you can access them on their website.

Since they don't send out paper statements and don't seem to email them to you either, they really need to get it sorted that you can access them on their website.

i got a paper statement from Avantcard last month, eventhough i had not got a paper statement from MBNA for years. I seem to remember in one of their letters they said that everyone would be reverted to paper statements until they got their website sorted.

Their website is muck. You would imagine they would have sorted something out before they went live.

Hello,

This article may be of interest to some - the Regulator has had to become involved:
http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0405/379907-avant-credit-card-holders-experiencing-difficulty/

People need to complain more, if they are not getting the proper service ... as a nation, we are not good at complaining or standing up for our rights as consumers etc.

Here is the link to the Ombudsman's offices, which is one place people should be directing their complaints, if they have genuine issues: [broken link removed]

Regards

Mr. Earl.

I just went online to register my new credit card and completed the registration with no problems at all. I then needed to speak with customer service and got through within a couple of minutes. As always I found the service excellent. Whatever delays or disruptions that card holders were encountering during the changeover seem to have been corrected now.

Whatever delays or disruptions that card holders were encountering during the changeover seem to have been corrected now.

Last statement date is 19th Feb,have no idea when I will get one either,Customer support says there is a delay but I should get one shortly and I have now way of checking online on recent purchases etc.

Far from corrected.

Back