Maternity State benefit for PhD

D

DH12

I'm just wondering if I was to start a PHD before my baby was due, would this count as insurable employment and could I then receive the maternity state benefit during my maternity leave?

I am considering doing a PHD and starting 6 months before my baby is due. However as my scholarship would be suspended during my maternity leave I would need some source of income. It says you have to be in insurable employment up until the day before your maternity leave starts. Is doing a funded PHD insurable employment?

I dont think it is either! Contact your supervisor and ask if theres a way around it..i.e continue to still make PRSI contributions!

One of the factors is whether you're paying tax/prsi on your income. In the case of most PhD scholarships, that wouldn't be the case.

A student at my place of work had her baby in the middle of doing her Phd and the only money she received was through social welfare.

I got a PhD schol before from the IRCHSS and it was not considered insurable employment as far as I'm aware. The way that worked was that the IRCHSS paid my college, and then my college paid me a bursary. It was a bit like getting expenses - and no PRSI (nor taxes) were paid.

Back