Health Insurance Mater Private Day Hospitals - Laya

valery

A heads up for anyone getting a scan in one of the Mater Private Day Hospitals, Laya do not cover them at all. I don’t know about procedures but it is possibly the same.

A heads up for anyone getting a scan in one of the Mater Private Day Hospitals, Laya do not cover them at all. I don’t know about procedures but it is possibly the same.
Add the Hermitage too, my wife has had a series of health check scans recently and has paid in full.

Hi Paul, I have had some scans in the Hermitage that Laya covered, but of course cover may be confined to certain scans only
Perhaps your wife can claim hers under her outpatient expenses. It’s worth checking,
However, scans in the Mater Private Day Hospitals, are not recoverable from laya under outpatient expenses. The most I will receive is 20% tax allowance.

I had a dexa scan recently. Not covered in the Galway Clinic but covered in the Bons.
Worth checking first.

Hi guys,

As Becky said if possible always confirm cover with the insurer before getting any procedure done. There might be something in the t&c's about location, consultant status, clinical indicators for a scan, whether its direct pay or pay and claim back etc that could catch you out and they are obliged to inform you correctly.

With regards to the relatively new day hospitals & centres, I've noticed VHI now cover them depending on the plan. They have added a new section into the table of benefits, breaking it down into level 1 and level 2 day hospitals. I don't think Laya or Irish Life Health cover them yet.

Last edited:
I was referred for a complex CT cardiac scan by a consultant in the Mater Private. Scan not covered in Mater Private with Irish Life, I was covered in Blackrock Clinic, Beacon, Vincent's Private, Hermitage. Went to Blackrock Clinic and was covered fully - was a pain getting the referral letter sent out.

Back