Married Couple & PAYE Credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno23

Any help on this would be appreciated, as I’m at a bit of a loss and getting myself very confused!
I am wondering how the PAYE Tax Credit gets applied in the following instance (for tax yr 2005):

Married couple, man earns E9K (taxable) in the year as self employed, also earns E6K during the year under PAYE from a part-time job. Since he’s only earned E6K under PAYE, no tax has been deducted by his employer on his P60.
Woman earns E60K during the year, all under the PAYE system.

I was under the impression that the couple could claim the PAYE Tax Cr twice on their end of year return, however the P21 issued by the tax office only shows one credit?
I know the PAYE Credit is not transferable, but I thought it would still have been applicable from the man’s PAYE job? Even the online tax calculators give the credit twice…

Any insight appreciated!

Anyone have an idea? I spoke with a lady at Revenue, she did not appear to understand my query, but said the PAYE Credit would be given to each individual, and would show on the P21 Balancing Stmt. She advised that I should write in, but to be aware there's a long back log of queries.
Anyone any ideas on this, save me both looking foolish and wasting my time awaiting a reply??

Don't bump threads. Read the posting guidelines. If you want a guaranteed response time on queries then pay a professional advisor rather than posting on a voluntary community website. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back