Making a formal complaint to Apple

Carnmore

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro which has had poor battery life since purchasing it - about four hours from a full charge.

The battery was replaced in 2015 which did not make any improvement. The machine has been tested and reinstalled several times by Apple and they can find no fault. I have asked for a replacement machine but they are refusing due to no fault being detected.

The usage is not energy intensive - web browsing and email checking. The Which? real-world testing states the battery should last around nine and a half hours with web browsing or HD video playback. I also know other Mac users who are getting about twelve hours battery life.

An Apple Care Senior Advisor today stated the nine-hour claimed battery life refers to standby time not usage!

Apple are currently prepared to offer a collect and return service, test the machine and change the battery again but this has already been done hence my request for a replacement.

Can anyone provide email contact details for Apple and any suggestions on how to get a replacement without resorting to legal action?

Edit: the six year claim period applies http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Last edited:
A bit odd. I've had nothing but the best of experiences in my limited dealings with Apple's after-care service.

What numbers, if any, does Apple quote for battery life per charge on standby and in use? Have you (or they) looked at the Energy Saver settings under System Preferences? Portables have two settings, one for mains and the other for battery. Has the MacBook Pro been upgraded in any way from the base configuration, extra memory or storage, SSD? Do you use it to charge/sync iPhone/iPads/iPods while on battery only?

They will test it, see if they can fix it, if not they will replace it. There would be no point in taking legal action without exhausting all other avenues.

I had a problem with my iphone and found their service to be excellent. They had no problem replacing the phone when they couldn't locate the problem. I discovered afterwards that it was my ear phones that was causing the problem, not the phone :oops:

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Do you live in Dublin? If so, go to Compbu on Grafton St. I know someone who had a dodgy iPhone, where Compbu logged an issue with it and within a day or two Apple sent them a new one to the store from Cork

They were getting nowhere with Apples phone support. I would suggest try a premium reseller

Back