Maintenance Required on Rental Property

Leesider32

Hi all,

I have work I want to do to a property I rent out. It involves work to the bathroom and would mean it can't be used for approx. 2 days.

I have tenants and they are not too forthcoming in accommodating this, I have asked them when would suit them but it is only at weekends or times that wouldn't work.

I have said I will reduce the rent by the number of days they can't use the bathroom but I am wondering if I was to force it what is my legal position? Would I have to provide them alternate accommodation that is agreeable to them for the 2 days?

Bathroom work will help with a couple of issues in the house hence why I want to get it sorted.

Could you coincide it with their holiday plans & maybe sweeten it for them a little?

What is the impact to the tenants of not doing the work?
What is the impact to the property/you of not doing the work?

The Residential Tenancies Act states that you have a legal obligation to carry out these repairs (see below).

Write the tenants a letter stating you are seeking to exercice your legal obligation to repair the property and you need a reasonable flexibility from them so you can carry these out.

a landlord of a dwelling shall—
(a) allow the tenant of the dwelling to enjoy peaceful and exclusive occupation of the dwelling,
(b) subject to subsection (2), carry out to—
(i) the structure of the dwelling all such repairs as are, from time to time, necessary and ensure that the structure complies with any standards for houses for the time being prescribed under section 18 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 , and
the interior of the dwelling all such repairs and replacement of fittings as are, from time to time, necessary so that that interior and those fittings are maintained in, at least, the condition in which they were at the commencement of the tenancy and in compliance with any such standards for the time being prescribed,

Hi all,

I have work I want to do to a property I rent out. It involves work to the bathroom and would mean it can't be used for approx. 2 days.

I have tenants and they are not too forthcoming in accommodating this, I have asked them when would suit them but it is only at weekends or times that wouldn't work.

I have said I will reduce the rent by the number of days they can't use the bathroom but I am wondering if I was to force it what is my legal position? Would I have to provide them alternate accommodation that is agreeable to them for the 2 days?

Bathroom work will help with a couple of issues in the house hence why I want to get it sorted.
Can you not get a plumber to work at weekend?

Back