Maintenance payments for adult child starting college living with me

BazMad01

My divorce agreement outlines I must pay child maintenance for my daughter until 18 when in school or 23 if she is in college.

I live in Cork and since the agreement her mother with my daughtee moved to Limerick. My daughter is going to college in Cork and has decided to live in my house rather than commute from September.

As such, am I right in thinking I no longer need to pay her mother mainteance for my daughter as she will be living with me from September full time?

Not an expert but in my mind if she is living in your house and you are covering all her expenses that her Mother previously covered then I'd say your proposal is reasonable but you'd probably need to have it written up & signed off by herself (your ex).

Nice now that you can spend more time with your daughter as She grows into an adult.:)

Not an expert either, and a lot would depend on all three of your personal circumstances. It is reasonable to revisit this with your ex and possibly your daughter and say, normally I pay €x a month towards maintenance, how do want to work this now you will be moving in with me.

Remember college runs for 26 weeks, so it is possible she will spend the other 26 weeks, and possibly all weekends in Limerick.
Her mother would still have roughly the same household expenses if she lives there half the year.
Your €x per month might be fairly nominal by now depending on your divorce agreement, so is it worth the discussion?
You might consider other options, such as buying her a car and covering running costs so she can move easily between both households.
Giving your daughter that allowance to cover clothes, transport, books, makeup, sports, entertainment, etc, etc. or else continue to pay your wife the maintenance and allow her to give your daughter a spending allowance.
Also if she had decided to go to uni in Dublin you could have ended up shelling out €10-€12K for her costs there, so count your blessings.

Back