Key Post Maintenance Contract obligatory for monitored alarm

LDFerguson

I've seen this mentioned a few times in passing here but I think it's worth a thread of its own.

We have a monitored alarm on our home (private company - not Eircom Phonewatch) and have the monitored alarm discount on our home insurance. Our insurer (Aviva) confirmed to me that such an alarm must be covered by an ongoing maintenance contract in order for the insurance to remain valid. It was our alarm company that brought this to our attention by way of trying to sell a monitoring contract.

At renewal I'm going to compare the cost of the monitoring contract with the alarm discount as I'm not sure that a maintenance contract is entirely necessary.

But this seems to be common practice with a lot of insurance companies - if you have a monitored alarm discount on your home insurance, you must have a maintenance contract.

Yep. It is also very important to note is that if you apply for the alarm discount, are robbed and the alarm was not turned on, they will not payout.

Yep. It is also very important to note is that if you apply for the alarm discount, are robbed and the alarm was not turned on, they will not payout.

Not strictly true as different insurers have different approaches for dealing with this issue e.g. higher excess may be applied rather than cover being removed. Best bet is to check your policy wording to establish your insurers' approach

They might reduce the payout.
For example, your house is worth €100,000. The standard premium is €100.
You get a 10% discount for having an alarm. At the claim stage they realise your alarm hasn't worked in years. They offer you a payout of €90,000.
I'm not sure if it's that straightforward but that's generally the idea.

TECHNI FAN:

You seem to be mising up AVERAGE with WARRANTY.

If you have alarm and getting discount, it might be a WARRANTY on your policy that the alarm is operative when house is unoccupied. If that is the case and house is robbed and you do NOT have the alarm operative then NIL will be paid out.

I've seen this mentioned a few times in passing here but I think it's worth a thread of its own.

We have a monitored alarm on our home (private company - not Eircom Phonewatch) and have the monitored alarm discount on our home insurance. Our insurer (Aviva) confirmed to me that such an alarm must be covered by an ongoing maintenance contract in order for the insurance to remain valid. It was our alarm company that brought this to our attention by way of trying to sell a monitoring contract.

At renewal I'm going to compare the cost of the monitoring contract with the alarm discount as I'm not sure that a maintenance contract is entirely necessary.

But this seems to be common practice with a lot of insurance companies - if you have a monitored alarm discount on your home insurance, you must have a maintenance contract.

That is correct, if you have a monitored alarm you need to have a maintenance contract in place also. €200 for maintenance plus monitoring is about average for the year but i have seen alot of places charge more.
If you dont renew a maintenance contract then you wont have garda response from the monitoring station either.

Another thing to note if you have an alarm installed today and receive a EN50131 cert for the alarm then send it to your insurance company, the cert is only valid for a year unless you have a maintenance contract on the alarm after the first year.

If you dont take out the maintenance contract it is up to you to inform your insurance company or else you make your insurance invalid in the case for a claim. The alarm would be classed as a working alarm not EN50131.

If you have an alarm already installed prior to the EN50131 standard coming out you are just claiming to have a working alarm.

Best thing to do is get on to your insurance company to get all the facts of the small print on any insurance policy plus as always get it in writing off them what ever they say.

Back