Made redundant 6 months ago: How To Fill The Endless Days

Perhaps consider utilizing the back to education allowance? My son availed of it and is loving that he spends his days in a productive way for his future, doing something that he really enjoys.
Try and be positive and use your time rather than killing it.
FETAC doesn't have an age limit.
So don't limit yourself.

Grow your own

Do you have a garden. You could start growing your own food - turn a hobby into a money saving device. Google grow your own vegetables.

Back to work enterprise allowance after a year on bens - come up with a business idea, get it accepted by your local enterprise board and keep most of your benefits for 2 years with the possibility of earning more on the side if business is profitable.

Hi Walsh 101,
In the Lucan area you have a branch of Citizens Information Centre. They regularly look for volunteers, you will learn about your rights in all areas and lots more interesting information and dealing with the public is enjoyable. If you dont enjoy dealing with the poublic there are other areas that they need volunteers. regards Browtal

Join the residents association, get involved in your area, meet your councillors, visit the council offices, try and improve life in your estate.

Pro's its a great form of networking and should get you back into employment quicker than staying at home.

Hi Walsh 101,
In the Lucan area you have a branch of Citizens Information Centre. They regularly look for volunteers, you will learn about your rights in all areas and lots more interesting information and dealing with the public is enjoyable. If you dont enjoy dealing with the poublic there are other areas that they need volunteers. regards Browtal
I agree with Browtal, I volunteer with Citizens Information and find it very rewarding and challenging. Only a few hrs per week and there's also an opportunity to do a few Fetac courses too. Well worth considering.

Dublin Job Club

If you live near Dublin, join the Dublin Job Club. Meet every Friday 10am
at the Digital Exchange in Crane St. Lots of like-minded people out
of work or starting own businesses. I have got some work with start-up
businesses from contacts I met there.

I don' know if you're into exercise, but what better time to get in shape?

Invest in a good pair of running shoes, depending on your current fitness level start with brisk walks and after a month or two, try jogging one mile and so on. Eventually if you enjoy it it's a great free way to tone up, keep fit and keep a clear head.

Maybe then aim to do a 5K for charity down the line... but remember start slow and enjoy it!

Last edited:
[broken link removed] is for newly unemployed people and has some good ideas

You should register for the Fas work placement scheme. Completely under subscribed but is a win-win for employer and employee.

Back