LPT: Revenue claims I haven't paid it for 2014, but I have an acknowledgment

Redback

Just wondering has anyone experienced the same...

We are just about to put our apartment up for sale, so started to get all the paper work gathered.
When we log on to the LPT site, it says we never paid our 2014 LPT liability.
We were in Australia at the time- I know I rang them and paid it! Indeed I checked back through my emails and there I find I have a their Acknowledgement receipt number dated 16 Nov 2013.

Then we ring Revenue and they say they never received any payment.
I'm in limbo at the moment as I closed all the bank accounts that I might have used to pay for it, but have made enquires to the bank.

What if anything can I do now.
I m panicking now about penalities and fines. (I should add all other Household charge etc ect for all other years were paid) Its just this one , from revenues stand point didn't go through.
Could they be mistaking? Surely when I gave them my card number and they issue a receipt number - some authorisation must have happened? Will the bank be able to find out if an attempt was made to pay it?

TIA
:)

They should be able to trace it from the receipt number. What did they say when you told them you had a receipt?

Just double check the payment went through your bank account and if it did then send a copy of the bank statement and the Revenue receipt to Revenue and they should sort it out for you

I wouldn't panic just yet. You clearly rang them and can prove that and also you were given a receipt. Either it's a mix up, that your payment hasn't been credited to your LPT account or the payment never left the bank, then it's their fault for issuing you a receipt as it's not true it was paid.

As an aside, I find it odd that as a landlord/ person liable to CGT you haven't kept your bank statements. You must keep your records for 6 years.

I wouldn't panic just yet. You clearly rang them and can prove that and also you were given a receipt. Either it's a mix up, that your payment hasn't been credited to your LPT account or the payment never left the bank, then it's their fault for issuing you a receipt as it's not true it was paid.

As an aside, I find it odd that as a landlord/ person liable to CGT you haven't kept your bank statements. You must keep your records for 6 years.

Well its my husband who is liable (but it was me who made the LPT payment)

We rang them and they said, "no- that the onus of proof is on us to show the payment left the bank account! That the acknowledgment number is no good "
Which I can understand but Im still annoyed how we can be given a receipt number that is now obviously meaningless.
Indeed when I said all this to them and they said theyd look into it...I proceed during that call to make this years LPT payment and then he says..do you have a pen to take down your 2016 LPT acknowledgment number. Joke

We rang them and they said, "no- that the onus of proof is on us to show the payment left the bank account! That the acknowledgment number is no good "
Which I can understand but Im still annoyed how we can be given a receipt number that is now obviously meaningless.
Indeed when I said all this to them and they said theyd look into it...I proceed during that call to make this years LPT payment and then he says..do you have a pen to take down your 2016 LPT acknowledgment number. Joke

Now that's a bit different it has to be said. So the acknowledgment no is not a receipt it seems to me. They'll probably tell you that you should have not only checked the bank but also your LPT account.

Personally I think you should correspond with them by email, try the nicey nicey approach and be shocked that it's not paid and explain the situation and honestly you did the right thing so I don't think you should get fined.

Did you pay tax in Ireland that year, if not you mightn't have much to worry about, I think the penalty is a % of your income tax (you have to check this online), and no tax, no penalty.

We were living in Australia at the time when we made the payment and have all our rental tax etc fully paid on our rental.

From my understanding Revenue are saying the number they email you or give you on the phone after you 'make payment' is an acknowledgment number.

We have emailed them about this months ago and still it hasn't been rectified...they are just throwing it back saying you need to prove you paid it..so I guess that's what I now have to do.
I know I'm just panicking after hearing about all those people being charged penalties of over 7K. Crazy.

Thanks for all your replies :)

There's usually a considerable delay between when you complete the online LPT form and enter payment method details, and when they actually deduct the LPT.
If you closed the bank account that you had registered as the LPT payment option before Revenue attempted to deduct it, their deduction would have failed.

The 7K penalties refers to the NPPR which is different from the LPC
I was wondering that....I find it hard to keep track of all the payments due NPPR, household charge, LPT...hard to know if you've paid them all!! They keep changing its name.
Was it the Local Councils that decided to charge householders the 7k fines or is revenue still doing the same?

So does anyone know what charges we'd face if the Revenue insist we didn't pay it and hit us with fines. The year at the centre of this is 2014s
It would seem little unfair but I'm bracing myself!

There's usually a considerable delay between when you complete the online LPT form and enter payment method details, and when they actually deduct the LPT.
If you closed the bank account that you had registered as the LPT payment option before Revenue attempted to deduct it, their deduction would have failed.
Good point, I didn't think of that! only closed it year ago, lol and no we're back! So that cant be it.
I just assumed when you got the (what I think is confirmation) the acknowledgment number that you then just stop thinking about it and carry on with other concerns in life. You never think youre going to have to go back and watch for it to come out of the account.

I just don't understand why they don't process your card there and then, like when you pay other bills over the phone.

can you log onto your revenue online and look at LPT, it usually shows fines and penalties in this section and outstanding balances. it might also have it noted if it was paid

hi Clara, yeah I logged on and it just says 2014 due...doesn't have any fines (thank god)

The pene
I was wondering that....I find it hard to keep track of all the payments due NPPR, household charge, LPT...hard to know if you've paid them all!! They keep changing its name.
Was it the Local Councils that decided to charge householders the 7k fines or is revenue still doing the same?

So does anyone know what charges we'd face if the Revenue insist we didn't pay it and hit us with fines. The year at the centre of this is 2014s
It would seem little unfair but I'm bracing myself!

The NPPR ran from 2009 to 2013 https://www.nppr.ie/default.aspx. It was administered by local councils and If you were eligible to pay and haven't well then the penalties are extortionate up to 7K.

The household charge was due for 2012 only. From 1 July 2013, any outstanding HC liability (including late penalties) was increased to €200 and is payable to Revenue. [broken link removed]

The LPT came into being in 2013, if you log in to see your account http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/
I am not sure what the penalties are if any for missing payments.

The pene

The NPPR ran from 2009 to 2013 https://www.nppr.ie/default.aspx. It was administered by local councils and If you were eligible to pay and haven't well then the penalties are extortionate up to 7K.

The household charge was due for 2012 only. From 1 July 2013, any outstanding HC liability (including late penalties) was increased to €200 and is payable to Revenue. [broken link removed]

The LPT came into being in 2013, if you log in to see your account http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/
I am not sure what the penalties are if any for missing payments.
Thanks for all that:)

Back