Low cost Legal Fees

€1,700 would be very expensive if it turned out that they got a rookie or incompetent solicitor to do the job and they missed some obvious or subtle problem!
Spot on there. There are some solicitors in Cork offering a flat rate less than €1000 plus VAT for their professional fees. This is excellent value only if they have experience and know what they are doing.

hi all

I bought my apartment this year and paid €895 plus vat and outlays....it came to €1280 TOTAL. My solicitors were Cunningham McCormack on Leeson St (01 6699030) and I had no problems with them at all....professional and efficient.

No offence but first time posters recommending product/service providers need to be treated with a certain amount of caution.

I appreciate that. However, I have absolutely no connection with the solicitors I mentioned, just a satisfied customer!

Should the value of the property being sold have any bearing the convayancing/legal fees?I know someone about to see for about €4-5M and they've been quoted from 15K to 30K for fees depending on the solicitor. Seems like a major rip off.

I don't think the value of the property should have any bearing whatsoever. Conveyancing is conveyancing is conveyancing!!

Thanks for that. I took a look at that websie lowcostlegal.ie but it was throwing out some made calculation for the cost off selling the house - 450K! I put selling price in of €5M - what is 'stamp duty on purchase deed'?

Legal Fee€900VAT @ 21%€189Subtotal€1089Outlays not chargeble to VATStamp Duty on Purchase Deed€450000Stamp Duty on Mortgage€0Stamp Duty on Counterpart Mortgage€12.5Stamp Duty on Assignment of Life Policy€12.5 Land Registry Fees on Purchase Deed€625Land Registry Fees on Mortgage€0Land Registry Fees on Certificate of Charge€0Land Registry Fees on Copy Folio€25Land Registry Fees for New Folio€0 Commissioners for Oaths€20 Search Fees€70 Subtotal€450765 GRAND TOTAL451854

Baz 2005,

What is your point? If stamp duty i.e. government tax on a €5 million gaff is 9%? The point is the legal fee, the outlay are primarily government taxes/charges. How is this a 'made calculation' for the 'cost off' selling the house??????

It's the 9% of €5 million! However, this tax is paid by the purchaser, not the seller, which may be your point, since you are talking about the cost of selling the house???

Aha... thanks. So that crowd are saying that they will complete ALL the legal work on the sale of €4M property for €1854? Sounds too good to be true but I'll have to check it out!

cheap looking website as well!!

I tried lowcostlegal but the terms and conditions put me off (€300 p/h if reminders etc required)- the fixed price was not as fixed as indicated. Another €300 (33%) was added on to the advertised fixed price when I mentioned that I was selling an apartment (the cost of getting a letter from the management company), and this was not mentioned on website or when I gave my details originally. Also, I was told that the file tracker system which they claim to have on their website was not operational. So no access to a file tracker system to check out what is going on (which is quite a common service in the UK).

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Am about to put my house on market and should get approx 900K (8yr old house). House I'm looking to buy is about €1M (30yr old house). Realistically, how much approx should total legal costs come to?

I worry about low cost solicitors suggest people look at post re dealing numbers. I know a solicitor who will do purchase for €400 but you have to get him off the bar stool every day to deal with it. What people dont realise is the amount of work done after the closing. If your solicitor holds on to the deeds and doesnt registrar them your sale could fall through in future, even years later. If you shop around you should get fee €1000 for sale and same for purschse plus VAT and OUTLAY.

Back