Lost deeds to House ....

S

Starsky

I have lost the deeds to my house which I had in my possession after clearing off my mortgage. The mortgage company advised they cannot re-issue.

Any advice / ideas greatly appreaciated on how I may get a new copy.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what the deeds were. Your understanding of deeds might have only been a copy. If an original land certificate or registry of deeds title was lost then there is quite a bit of work involved to rectify and if you intend disposing of your house you would need to get on to your solicitor immediatly to get the ball rolling. Also if an original certificate of compliance with planning was lost you will need to get a new one. And copies of old planning etc.

Thanks guys

A little more padding needed I think. Actually its my folks house and who have "mislaid" the deeds. House purchased from new nearly 40 yrs ago and paid up several years hence. The deeds (first and only copy) were put away somewhere in the house when received from the Mortgage Company for safe keeping... Needless to say the house has been turned upside down looking for them and now my mum has had to give up in vain and frustration.

So what exactly will be entailed. Where does she start and what is/will she be asking for/to be done.

Again thanks in advance for any help

Starsky

PS My parents are not selling the house. They just want to have everything in order.

You could get a map of the property, do a mapping search in the land reg to see if registered or unregistered. If unregistered really best thing to do is go to a solicitor. If registered get a copy of the folio- it will show whether an original title deed has issued or not. If it has issued then this is presumably what they lost, although its worth checking that it really was released to them by the bank and not a copy. Again probably best at this point to contact a solicitor who can apply for a new land cert- takes affidavits, advert etc. They could short circuit the whole thing and go and make an appointment with a solicitor who has an on line account with the land registry who can make the searches there and then while they are with her/him- the cost will be very little just to check out the situation. Bear in mind that people often come in to me with what they think are their original title deeds and they are nothing of the kind. So your parents might have nothing to worry about.

where is the best place to keep deeds, to prevent OP's situatuion happening again. Can they be lodged with a Solicitor, bank......

Hi V

Once again thanks for the help and advice. Showed my mum the response so she has contacted a solicitor now and has started the ball rolling to get things resolved.

Cheers

Starsky

"where is the best place to keep deeds, to prevent OP's situatuion happening again. Can they be lodged with a Solicitor, bank......"

Most old reliables will no longer keep deeds - there is a risk factor attached -no more than if you keep them at home. You can try your Bank but mostly they are shying away.

A good idea is to keep them in a fireproof safe/box at home but take a copy of the entire and keep that somewhere else. Its a lot easier to reconstitute a title if you at least have copies.

mf

Do the Land Registry provide a storage service? Or is this just available to solicitors? In any case, would this be the best solution (either direct if possible or through your solicitor) for those in the Land Registry system or could there be any compelling reason for retaining your Land Certificate in your own possession?

Land Registry or the Property Registration authority will no longer issue land certificates. You could just send in your land cert ( I'd suggest by Registered post)) to be retained in the Central office. Any time anyone has any dealing in the PRA from now on no original title deed will be reissued, only an original copy. So at some point in the future lost title deeds will be a rarety.

I see. So this isn't really a storage service, more a case of say goodbye to your deeds and the problem of minding them forever. Makes sense really, I guess, as lost deeds seem to be quite a common problem.

Back