Lost Aer Lingus shares

Freddie

Hi,

A little background - I bought €10k worth of shares in Aer Lingus when they first floated in 2006. Then with being a shareholder at some stage we were given some “bonus shares”. I want to/have to sell all my shares now.

I have the bonus share certificates and I’ve dropped these into Capita, the company that manages the share register for Aer Lingus. I can’t find the other share certificates though i.e. the €10k worth or else Merrion Stockbrokers never sent them to me at the time. (I never lose anything and seem to have all other correspondence from the time I dealt with Merrion Stockbrokers in buying the shares in 2006)

Assuming they are lost what is the cheapest way for me replace them to sell them. Or is there something else I can do here, that will allow me to sell them (I know now keeping paper certs is the wrong way to go, so no advice needed on that, I’ve learned the hard way already)

I’m just trying to see if I have any options.

Thanks

Would anyone know where I could get some advice on this, even if no one has the knowledge themselves?

Contact Capita who will send you a Form of Indemnity for lost certificate.
On completion of the form & payment of an appropriate fee they will issue a duplicate certificate.

Thanks Gerard and Denise. I called Capita who were/are looking after the sale. The have an admin fee of €75 and then they charge a % of the share value for the Indemnity form. They couldn't give me the exact value until I write to them but its likely to be just short of €300. I didn't think it would be so expensive.

Hi Gerard,

I called Capita again and got a much more helpful and informative women this time.

I have 4545 shares @ €2.50 each = €11362.50

For Indemnity Insurance, if the value of the shares is > 10000 they charge €200 + 1% of the total value(in my case that’s €113.62)

So total value to replace the shares is €75 admin + €313.62 indemnity insurance = €388.62

Hi Freddie, still seems excessive but at least it's transparent! I know that certain large companies out there would not charge anything like that to replace an actual share cert. Would be more like a €50 flat fee.

Gerard
www.proactivefinance.ie

Hi Gerard,

Yes its really expensive. Do you know if anyone else out there provides this type of insurance for lost shares or if there is anything else I can do here. Thanks again.

Unfortunately Freddie you are snookered.
Capita are the registrars for the shares & thus are the only ones empowered to issue a duplicate cert.

Ok Deiseblue. I might give one last look so, even though I'm not even sure Merrion every sent them to me in the 1st place.

Back