Losing no claims bonus

Lyndan

Hey All

So annoyed!! just got off the phone with some insurance companies and it seems that i have lost my 3 years no claims bonus as i didnt hold my own policy for 2 years.

I lived in UK for 2 years and came back in March 2005. Before i left i had my own policy which expired Jan 2004. In the meantime i was either a named driver on my fathers policy in Ireland and i held my own policy in UK for 6 months (this doesnt count as i didnt complete the full year)

My quote has gone up from €500 to €1,200

Anyone experienced similar?

Unfortunatley your bonus expires after 2 years. Thats standard practice.

you may still get a discount if you can show that you were a named driver, or indeed if you can get proof of your driving in UK. most insurers are more open to discounts in the present time since teh MIAB reports. you can only try and if you try, the worst that wil lhappen is that your position remains unchanged.

Ravima said:
you may still get a discount if you can show that you were a named driver, or indeed if you can get proof of your driving in UK. most insurers are more open to discounts in the present time since teh MIAB reports. you can only try and if you try, the worst that wil lhappen is that your position remains unchanged.

What are the MIAB reports???

Main points here.

It's worth doing as Ravima suggested, and also trying a few local brokers in addition to approaching companies directly. I remember a thread here some time back where, as an experiment, two people rang the same company, provided identical details, and were given substantially different quotations...

Unfortunatley your bonus expires after 2 years. Thats standard practice.
ya i lost all my 7 years ncb as i was in a crash, not my fault and was left for dead at side of raod and have lots injuries which stopped me from driving and my insurance company took all my ncb and i didnt even claim of my own insurance, very harsh system!!!!

Try the broker route. This happened to me before (but I was only 2.5 years without cover). The brokers have good relationships with their preferred insurers so are able to bend the rules a little. The insurers take the brokers word for it, so the key is for you to get a good relationship with a broker!!

I was in new zealand for 2 years and was insured there. upon arrival back in ireland the ins companies wouldnt accept my ncb from nz so i was an 18 year old kamikaze again! I tried a broker and they would accept my kiwi NCB but the one i had carried by hand from nz wasnt good enough. So i had to ring my kiwi ins company and arrange a suitable one. Picky or what!!

Back