looking for unspoiled Ireland

Donegal. Heaven indeed. I agree.

If you've got a serious medical problem, the 3-4 hour road journey for dubious hospital care would bother me. The HSE certainly wont airlift you for treatment unless they're likely to suffer extreme embarrassment for not doing so.

Yes, you could be treated in Derry, the local major hospital but that's not how it works in Ireland, is it?

No arguments, if you have a serious medical condition then, because of the appalling medical services in Donegal, it's probably not the best county to move to. But if you're hale and hearty and just looking for a holiday home I can think of no better place to go. Just leave your jet skis and SUVs behind, please!

Kerry has alot of unspoilt areas

Parts off the beaten track would be say Glencar or Glenbeigh ,
Glenbeigh is on the Ring of kerry road, and Glencar is the next townland next to it
There is also a little hamlet area called Caragh Lake this area itself has some pricy housing and Land, prices can vary from 300,000 up to 1.5 million , so best to stay away from that area

myhome.ie does'nt have alot of listings in some of the country area
take a larger property agent and run a search on those for housing

In my opinion the Beara peninsula is the most beautiful, unspoilt and awe inspiring place in Ireland. Its remote yes but it is unlike anywhere else in Ireland, with its barren mountains, islands, heaths moors and idyllic villages. I can't think of anywhere i would rather be when the stress begin to build in my little city office. If its culture and history you are seeking then you are on the right track too.

It is remote but with all the road improvements within Cork you could be from Cork airport to the Beara peninsula in 90 minutes.

I met a young professional couple in Dublin recently who commuted from The Beara Penninsula to Dublin to work everyday...........by private plane! Like youself I hope for a small home with a big view in a peaceful place but the realities must be engaged with. For insight into the effects of the wealthy and modern newcomers to the more remote parts of the west read Tim Robinson's Connemara: listening to the wind (Penguin, Ireland, 2006). In fact everyone should read this extraordinary story. My advice is to stop asking for advice, give yourselves two or three weeks with a Railpass and backpacks and travel round............you'll know it when you see it. When you find it you will still need to engage with the realities including the loss of your idealism..........

Hi, I can suggest some parts of Donegal; Inishowen Penisula has some great beaches, villages etc but parts can be overrun with holidaymakers in summer. The Fanad peninsula is also a good place. West Donegal is much more rugged and old worldly, places like Gweedore, Bunbeg, Glenties etc. Relatively speaking there has been some building going on over the past few years but probably not as much as W & SW of ireland. For total unspoilt Ireland look at some of the islands e.g. Arranmore. Local Donegal estate agents are Paul franklins & KMcG (you do the search). I recently bought a 3 bed apt on the beach at the edge of a small town in Inishowen for well under 200k. Sometimes weather isn't great but....hey.....we can't have it all!

If you're looking for good value, I'd recommend west Cork over Galway. Having lived in Galway for two years, I can highly recommend it but the house prices have been driven up by Dublin holidaymakers. West Cork is too far away to be a weekend holiday destination for the Dubs so maybe that's why prices are a little more reasonable?

Hello,
[... somewhere not overrun with new builds, and somewhere we could find a little home that has not been modernised so that we can put our own stamp on the place. We'd be happy to consider village or rural locations (as long as they're near enough amenities)

Sorry peach100, but you are just 50 years too late to find them Dancing at the Crossroads.. Dev's dream for Ireland was extinguished by Charlie, and Ireland has never looked back. Modern youngsters have no wish to fix the thatch after every storm, squat in an outhouse instead of using a clean bathroom, live without running water, electricity, telephone or broadband. Hence the despised new-builds ribboning every road in scenic localities. Beware, however; within the next 50 years your rural idyll will have turned into an Irish replica of the Costa del Sol with gaudy plastic replica "Main Streets"; service cables, transmitter towers, windmills and electricity pylons strung all over the landscape and drug-fuelled teens doing donuts on every beach.
...Unless the "abbos" deliberately choke off new development and put education ahead of entertainment. Do you think are they likely to do that?

Back